Coffee, not sleeping, and all that

• Thread starter heartless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary: It depends on the person, but I'd say that one cup of coffee is usually fine.3. I really enjoy the taste of coffee.4. I drink it about twice a day.5. Yes, I've been able to function without getting a sleep on a few occasions.6. It wasn't too bad.7. Yes, I can function without getting a sleep.8.I don't know. I'm not particularly interested in getting 55 on my report card.
heartless
I have a few questions for you.
1. Does coffee help you keep being awake?
2. How unhealthy is a cup of coffee?
3. How do you like coffee's taste?
4. How frequently do you drink coffee?
5. Have you ever functioned without getting a sleep? - awake by more than 36-48 hours?
6. If yes, how was it?
7. Are you able to function properly without getting a sleep?
8. Would you like to see me getting 55 on my report card? (joke, don't answer. I won't.)

That's all for one.
THanks, and looking for various responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes
2. As far as I know, one cup of coffee is healthy
3. If it's freshly grinded, then I love the taste. Instant tastes horrible though
4. Twice a week or so.
5. Yes
6. It wasn't too fun...
7. More or less... I can't remember things as well, but I can think things through almost as well...

Anyway, I have a few AP tests coming up and I have procrastinated studying for them! :(

heartless said:
Well, it keeps me from falling asleep, but I'm not sure that's the same as being awake. In the morning it helps me get jump-started, but at night, if I'm too tired, I won't feel less tired or more awake, but will find it impossible to fall asleep.

It's debated how much the health benefits balance with the health risks. But, to get any of the health benefits, it needs to be freshly brewed, not old sludge, or instant. We've had some discussions on this before, but I don't recall where.
I do.
Twice a day...one GIANT cup to get me going in the morning, and one smaller, weaker cup with lunch to keep me going.
5. Have you ever functioned without getting a sleep? - awake by more than 36-48 hours?
That would depend on what you mean by "functioned."
6. If yes, how was it?
I don't know, I've blocked it from memory.
No, not if I go over 28 hours awake, and after 20 hours I start getting a bit punchy.

You know what I find to be interesting? How if you pull an all nighter and you become extremely tired, but then when the sun rises, you become almost fully awake again.

1. No. Sometimes it puts me to sleep. :confused:
2. It's terrible for your stomach.
3. The taste becomes neutral when you learn how to mentally block it out.
4. A few times a day usually.
5. I don't recall - if I were awake >24 hours, there's hardly anything I'd choose over sleep. No class, exam, seminar, airplane ticket, whatever.
6. Very unpleasant.
7. Not remotely.
8. Why not?

1. yes
2. Not too. I just have to avoid strenuous exercise, or else I go like the bionic man and hurt myself.
3. It's awful
4. never
5. I stayed awake for 41 or 47 hours once. I had about a liter of cola. I felt great the whole time. This only happens on rare occasions though. I can't fully explain it.
7. If I've been coffeed

I wanted to write a book this night, but actually I'm getting a little sleepy. I'm going to go to bed in a few minutes. We had to write a book for this marking period, a few chapters on sequences, fractals and the like and I didn't do it. I'm afraid that this may be my first failed class ever although I think I won't fail, but just get a very low grade - something I've worked for. For me, getting a 65 is even worse than failing a class. On friday is a science fair, another day of heavy defeat. I don't know why, but I never do good on projects. Even if I try I always mess up the design part. My boards are often chosen as the ugliest although I think they look very pretty. Sometimes I feel that I and the rest part of the world speak totally different languages and think very differently. Thank you for answering the questions and giving out the help. I'm looking forward to see new responses. Thanks,

heartless said:
6. If yes, how was it?
8. Would you like to see me getting 55 on my report card? (joke, don't answer. I won't.)

That's all for one.
THanks, and looking for various responses.

1. Yeah, but I do 3 shots of espresso at a time usually.
2. In moderations its supposedly healthy, not that I drink it moderately.
3. I like espresso. That weak bitter water most americans call coffee is not so great though.
4. Almost every day, once or twice a day usually.
5.Yes
6. Awful, I did 36 hour days once for a couple weeks. It messes with you. Last year I did 48 hour days semi-regularly for a few weeks during winter quarter, I think my caffeine intake was close to 500mg a day back then, maybe more.
7. Only with lots of caffeine, and not usually past the 24 hours of consciousness mark.

1. [Does coffee help you keep being awake?]I fall asleep by noon without it because I am dependant on it.:frown:
2. [How unhealthy is a cup of coffee? ] As already said, a cup or two is not bad for you. The worst part for me is that I get far too dehydrated because of coffee.
3. [How do you like coffee's taste?]Love it, love it, love it.
4. [How frequently do you drink coffee?]approx 3 cups in the morning.
5. [Have you ever functioned without getting a sleep? - awake by more than 36-48 hours?]Blitherin idiot after a single "all-nighter."
6. [If yes, how was it?]I'm talking stupid.
7. [Are you able to function properly without getting a sleep?]ditto. Coffe at this point makes the stupidity louder.

1. I don't drink coffee enough to notice, although I did once drink a few cups of coffee to keep me awake when I needed to be awake through the early hours. I didn't feel any more awake, and I actually had a panic attack. :( :-p

2. I don't know. I doubt one cup will be unhealthy, but I have heard some bad things about drinking it excessively. My coffee is usually quite unhealthy, as I like quite a bit of sugar.

3. Depends what type of coffee you're talking about. I once tried espresso (I think it was) and found it quite horrible, more of an acquired taste. The only coffee I really drink is coffee made with milk and the odd cappucino.

4. Very infrequently. It's certainly not part of my daily routine, or weekly for that matter. I just drink it when I feel like it.

5. Yes

6. Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm confined to the house with little to do, then I find that I tire more easily. If I'm keeping active I usually find I can keep myself going.

7. As I said, it depends on what I'm doing the next day. Sometimes I am very tired the next day, and sometimes I feel as normal as any other day.

I drink caffeinated coffee sometimes right before going to bed and fall right to sleep, caffeine has very little effect on me.

I don't drink coffee, but I discovered recently that caffeine was messing with my sleep much more than I thought. If I drink tea any less than six hours before bedtime, I have trouble going to sleep. Ever since I stopped doing that, I've been keeping a regular (though not normal) schedule.

Coffee helps me focus on what I'm doing. The difference is significant.

Related to Coffee, not sleeping, and all that

1. How does coffee affect our sleep?

Coffee contains caffeine, which is a stimulant that blocks the effects of adenosine, a chemical in our brain that promotes sleepiness. This can make it difficult to fall asleep and can also disrupt our sleep cycles, resulting in poor quality sleep.

2. Is it safe to consume large amounts of coffee?

The recommended daily caffeine intake for adults is 400mg, which is equivalent to about 4 cups of coffee. Consuming more than this amount can lead to negative side effects such as restlessness, anxiety, and high blood pressure. It is important to monitor caffeine intake and stay within the recommended limit.

3. Does drinking coffee in the evening affect our sleep?

Yes, drinking coffee in the evening can affect our sleep. The effects of caffeine can last for up to 6 hours, so consuming coffee close to bedtime can make it difficult to fall asleep. It is best to avoid consuming caffeine at least 6 hours before bedtime to ensure a good night's rest.

4. Can coffee help us stay awake and focused?

Yes, coffee can help us stay awake and focused due to its caffeine content. Caffeine stimulates our central nervous system, increasing alertness and mental clarity. However, the effects may vary from person to person and it is important to not rely on coffee as a substitute for adequate sleep.

5. How does the quality of coffee impact its effects on sleep?

The quality of coffee can impact its effects on sleep. Low-quality coffee may contain higher levels of caffeine and other additives, which can have a stronger effect on our sleep. It is important to choose high-quality coffee and monitor your caffeine intake to minimize any negative impact on sleep.