[Cognitive Robotics] state estimation

In summary: Bayes rule.In summary, the expert suggests that the Gaussian noise has a shift of 1 and that Bayes rule can be used to calculate the probabilities.
RandomUserName
Hey guys, I need some help. Here's my task:

View attachment 6189

Here's what I came up with: I need to calculate prob(x1|z1), prob(x1|z2) and so on and then just write down which has the highest probability. To do that, I would use Bayes rule, but for that, I need p(z1|x1) and p(z1). How do I get these?

I have no idea what to calculate for the case: robot is at position x1, what is prob to measure z1. What do I do with the Gaussian noise? :(

Attachments

• 77bgVh6.png
    77bgVh6.png
    16 KB · Views: 63
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
RandomUserName said:
Hey guys, I need some help. Here's my task:

Here's what I came up with: I need to calculate prob(x1|z1), prob(x1|z2) and so on and then just write down which has the highest probability. To do that, I would use Bayes rule, but for that, I need p(z1|x1) and p(z1). How do I get these?

I have no idea what to calculate for the case: robot is at position x1, what is prob to measure z1. What do I do with the Gaussian noise? :(

Hi RandomUserName! Welcome to MHB! ;)

We have:
$$P(z_1\mid x_1) = P(z_1 \le Z < z_1 + dz \mid x_1) = f_1(z_1) dz$$
where $f_1$ is the gaussian distribution density for $x_1$.

And we have:
$$P(z_1) = P(z_1 \wedge (x_1 \vee x_2 \vee x_3 \vee x_4)) \\
= P((z_1 \wedge x_1) \vee (z_1 \wedge x_2) \vee (z_1 \wedge x_3) \vee (z_1 \wedge x_4))
= P(z_1 \wedge x_1) + P(z_1 \wedge x_2) + P(z_1 \wedge x_3) + P(z_1 \wedge x_4) \\
= P(z_1 \mid x_1)P(x_1) + P(z_1 \mid x_2)P(x_2) + P(z_1 \mid x_3)P(x_3) + P(z_1 \mid x_4)P(x_4)
$$
Since we assume an equally distributed prior, we have:
$$P(x_1)=P(x_2)=P(x_3)=P(x_4)=\frac 14$$

Can we find $P(x_1\mid z_1)$ now?

I like Serena said:
Hi RandomUserName! Welcome to MHB! ;)

We have:
$$P(z_1\mid x_1) = P(z_1 \le Z < z_1 + dz \mid x_1) = f_1(z_1) dz$$
where $f_1$ is the gaussian distribution density for $x_1$.

And we have:
$$P(z_1) = P(z_1 \wedge (x_1 \vee x_2 \vee x_3 \vee x_4)) \\
= P((z_1 \wedge x_1) \vee (z_1 \wedge x_2) \vee (z_1 \wedge x_3) \vee (z_1 \wedge x_4))
= P(z_1 \wedge x_1) + P(z_1 \wedge x_2) + P(z_1 \wedge x_3) + P(z_1 \wedge x_4) \\
= P(z_1 \mid x_1)P(x_1) + P(z_1 \mid x_2)P(x_2) + P(z_1 \mid x_3)P(x_3) + P(z_1 \mid x_4)P(x_4)
$$
Since we assume an equally distributed prior, we have:
$$P(x_1)=P(x_2)=P(x_3)=P(x_4)=\frac 14$$

Can we find $P(x_1\mid z_1)$ now?
Since you're asking like that, probably yeah :D.
But I'm not 100% sure how yet...

Can I just use this formula now?
prob(z1|x2) = this

prob(z2|x2) = this

RandomUserName said:
Since you're asking like that, probably yeah :D.
But I'm not 100% sure how yet...

Can I just use this formula now?
prob(z1|x2) = this

prob(z2|x2) = this

That's the formula yes, but if I'm not mistaken we should take $\mu_2=4$ instead of $\mu_2=5$.

To be honest, the problem statement is a bit confusing saying that the added Gaussian noise has $\mu=1$.
That just makes no sense - added Gaussian noise always has $\mu=0$.
I can only assume that they meant that the given Gaussian distribution was for $x_1$ with $\mu_1=1$, while the other Gaussian distributions would have the respective expectations for $x_i$ and $\sigma=2$. That is, $\mu_1=1,\mu_2=4,\mu_3=7,\mu_4=10$.

I like Serena said:
That's the formula yes, but if I'm not mistaken we should take $\mu_2=4$ instead of $\mu_2=5$.

To be honest, the problem statement is a bit confusing saying that the added Gaussian noise has $\mu=1$.
That just makes no sense - added Gaussian noise always has $\mu=0$.
I can only assume that they meant that the given Gaussian distribution was for $x_1$ with $\mu_1=1$, while the other Gaussian distributions would have the respective expectations for $x_i$ and $\sigma=2$. That is, $\mu_1=1,\mu_2=4,\mu_3=7,\mu_4=10$.
I asked about this, and this was the reply:
The noise has a shift of 1 (the mean), so if the real reading is 10, then the noisy reading (which will be the most probable) will be 11. Therefore, the difference between the expected reading at a certain x_i location (taking into account the noise effect ex: 11) and the real reading z_t should determine the probability p(z_t|x_i).​

RandomUserName said:
I asked about this, and this was the reply:
The noise has a shift of 1 (the mean), so if the real reading is 10, then the noisy reading (which will be the most probable) will be 11. Therefore, the difference between the expected reading at a certain x_i location (taking into account the noise effect ex: 11) and the real reading z_t should determine the probability p(z_t|x_i).​

Okay. So we have a systematic error in our measurements.
In that case I believe you're good to go.

I like Serena said:
Okay. So we have a systematic error in our measurements.
In that case I believe you're good to go.

Alright :)
Thanks for all your help!

1. What is state estimation in cognitive robotics?

State estimation in cognitive robotics refers to the process of using sensory information to estimate the current state of a robot, including its position, orientation, and other relevant variables. This information is crucial for the robot to make decisions and perform tasks in its environment.

2. What types of sensors are used for state estimation in cognitive robotics?

Cognitive robotics may use a variety of sensors for state estimation, including cameras, lidar, radar, and sonar. These sensors provide different types of information, such as visual, depth, and distance data, which are used to estimate the robot's state.

3. How accurate is state estimation in cognitive robotics?

The accuracy of state estimation in cognitive robotics depends on the quality of the sensors used and the algorithms used to process the data. With advancements in technology and machine learning, state estimation has become increasingly accurate, allowing robots to make more precise and reliable decisions.

4. Can state estimation be used for real-time applications?

Yes, state estimation can be used for real-time applications in cognitive robotics. With efficient algorithms and powerful hardware, robots can continuously update their state estimation in real-time, allowing them to adapt to changing environments and make decisions quickly.

5. What are the main challenges of state estimation in cognitive robotics?

Some of the main challenges of state estimation in cognitive robotics include dealing with noisy sensor data, handling uncertainty and errors, and accurately estimating the state in dynamic and complex environments. Researchers continue to work on developing improved algorithms and techniques to overcome these challenges.