Coherent operations on Jacobian matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "coherent" operations on Jacobian matrices, which refers to operations on a Jacobian matrix A that yields a new matrix A' that is also a Jacobian matrix of some other system of functions. The coherency of A' can be determined by integrating its partials of one variable and checking if they yield the same function. The conversation also mentions that multiplying A by a constant matrix yields a coherent A', but it is unclear if there are other non-trivial operations that retain coherency. It is also mentioned that addition can also result in a coherent A', but the universe of such operations seems sparse. The conversation ends with a question about whether there is a way to determine co
Mapprehension
Is there a notion of “coherent” operations on Jacobian matrices? By this I mean, an operation on a Jacobian matrix A that yields a new matrix A' that is itself a Jacobian matrix of some (other) system of functions. You can ascertain whether A' is coherent by integrating its partials of one variable. If those integrations yield the same function, then that variable’s contribution is coherent. Repeat for each variable, and if all are coherent, then A' is coherent.

Multiplying A by a constant matrix yields a coherent A'. Maybe there are other operations that do, but the universe of such operations seems… sparse. Are there known, non-trivial operations that retain coherency? Is this a thing? Is there any way to determine coherency without having to integrate? (I can’t imagine how…)

Thanks.
— Mapp

Physics news on Phys.org
Mapprehension said:
Is there a notion of “coherent” operations on Jacobian matrices? By this I mean, an operation on a Jacobian matrix A that yields a new matrix A' that is itself a Jacobian matrix of some (other) system of functions. You can ascertain whether A' is coherent by integrating its partials of one variable. If those integrations yield the same function, then that variable’s contribution is coherent. Repeat for each variable, and if all are coherent, then A' is coherent.

Multiplying A by a constant matrix yields a coherent A'. Maybe there are other operations that do, but the universe of such operations seems… sparse. Are there known, non-trivial operations that retain coherency? Is this a thing? Is there any way to determine coherency without having to integrate? (I can’t imagine how…)

Thanks.
— Mapp
Isn't J(A+B)=J(A)+J(B), given ## d/dx_i(f+g)=d/dx_i(f)+d/dx_i(g) ## ?

WWGD said:
Isn't J(A+B)=J(A)+J(B), given ## d/dx_i(f+g)=d/dx_i(f)+d/dx_i(g) ## ?
Yes. I should have noted addition as well. I was musing over anything more elaborate.

Thanks.
— Mapp

1. What are coherent operations on Jacobian matrices?

Coherent operations on Jacobian matrices refer to a set of mathematical operations that preserve the structure and properties of Jacobian matrices. These operations include matrix multiplication, addition, and subtraction.

2. Why are coherent operations important in the study of Jacobian matrices?

Coherent operations are important because they allow us to manipulate and analyze Jacobian matrices without changing their essential characteristics. This allows us to perform calculations and derive conclusions about the behavior of a system described by a Jacobian matrix.

3. How do coherent operations affect the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Jacobian matrix?

Coherent operations do not change the eigenvalues or eigenvectors of a Jacobian matrix. This property is known as invariance and is essential in many applications of Jacobian matrices, such as stability analysis of dynamic systems.

4. Can coherent operations be applied to non-square Jacobian matrices?

Yes, coherent operations can be applied to non-square Jacobian matrices as long as the dimensions of the matrices are compatible for the specific operation. For example, addition and subtraction can be performed on matrices with the same dimensions, while multiplication can be performed on matrices with compatible dimensions (e.g. a m x n matrix multiplied by a n x p matrix).

5. Are there any limitations to using coherent operations on Jacobian matrices?

One limitation is that coherent operations cannot be applied to singular Jacobian matrices, as these matrices do not have an inverse. Additionally, coherent operations may not always preserve the sparsity of a Jacobian matrix, which can affect the efficiency of certain algorithms that rely on sparsity.