Coherent two-photon lidar...does this mean lidar range is greater?

• I
  • Thread starter dansmith170
  • Start date
dansmith170
Physics news on Phys.org
dansmith170 said:
https://phys.org/news/2023-12-breakthrough-coherent-two-photon-lidar-range.html

Does this mean lidar is now effective at ranges over a few kilometers? Or does it mean lidar measurements are now more precise?

If lidar effective ranges are greater, what would be the current range using the coherent two-photon method?
LIDAR obeys the inverse square law no? It's really much like RADAR isn't it? It's basically to do with intensity yes? The article seems to me very theoretical, but I guess that's QM (read: Greek) for me.

Nvm. I'm surely in over my head.

1. What is coherent two-photon lidar?

Coherent two-photon lidar is an advanced form of lidar technology that uses two photons that are coherent with each other to measure distances. This method involves the simultaneous absorption of two photons by a detector, which can occur at lower energy levels compared to single-photon absorption. This technique enhances the sensitivity and resolution of lidar systems, potentially allowing for more accurate and detailed measurements over longer distances.

2. Does coherent two-photon lidar increase the range of lidar systems?

Yes, coherent two-photon lidar can potentially increase the range of lidar systems. By utilizing two-photon absorption, which can occur with lower energy photons, this technology can effectively extend the reach of the lidar's signal. This is particularly useful in conditions where traditional lidar systems may struggle, such as through obscurants like fog, smoke, or dust.

3. How does coherent two-photon lidar improve measurement accuracy?

Coherent two-photon lidar improves measurement accuracy by reducing the noise associated with signal detection. Since the process requires the simultaneous detection of two photons, the likelihood of false signals caused by random noise is significantly reduced. This results in cleaner data and more precise measurements, making it highly effective in environments with high background light or scattered signals.

4. Are there any limitations to using coherent two-photon lidar?

While coherent two-photon lidar offers several advantages, there are limitations. The technology requires sophisticated and often expensive equipment to manage the coherent photon pairs and detect them accurately. Additionally, the complexity of the signal processing involved can lead to higher computational demands and potentially slower processing times compared to conventional lidar systems.

5. What applications can benefit most from coherent two-photon lidar?

Applications that require high precision and long-range measurement capabilities can benefit significantly from coherent two-photon lidar. This includes autonomous vehicle navigation, atmospheric research, topographical mapping, and military applications where accurate distance measurements are critical under various environmental conditions. The technology's ability to penetrate through particulate matter also makes it ideal for use in areas with poor visibility.