Coil + zinkplate + copperplate + 9V battery = shock

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a zinkplate and copperplate connected in series with a 9V battery and a coil, and the shock felt when touching the plates. The increase in shock is attributed to the inductor created by the coil. The conversation also touches on the potential danger of using wet hands or the tongue to test the voltage, and the suggestion of using a resistor and oscilloscope instead. It is concluded that while a 9V battery may seem safe, the addition of a coil makes it more hazardous.
johann1301h
So I just connected a zinkplate and a copperplate in series with a battery 9v and a coil(with a an iron core). All the parts are from a set bought for learning about electricity.

Since I was a kid I have many time put the + and the - of a 9V battery on my tongue, and felt the electricity.

So when I did this little experiment I was in shock, both mentally and physically:) Because I really felt it! Through my hands! It was so strong! And I was just holding the plates with each hand. And this just from a 9V battery?

How is this possible? what is going on? Why am I feeling it so strong, even though the voltage is the same 9V? Why does the sink/copper and coil increase the shock?

I also tried pulling out the iron/metal core from the coil, and then I didn't really feel anything, but then slowly pushing it inwards made the shock more intense again! why?

Now the instructions is asking me too make my fingers wet, and I am too scared, kind of... :)

Is this stuff dangerous? This kit is meant for kids from 8 years and up:)

Can someone enlighten me somewhat on this?

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2019-07-19 kl. 21.46.21.png
    Skjermbilde 2019-07-19 kl. 21.46.21.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 201
Physics news on Phys.org
A coil with an iron core makes an inductor whose voltage can get quite large if you make a sudden change of current, e.g. if you have a current in the circuit, and then suddenly open the circuit. This kind of thing, IMO, is somewhat risky. You should not be using your hands or your tongue as a voltage probe. Even as beginner, proper electrical safety needs to be practiced. Especially with a coil, you can not assume that you will not create hazardous voltage and/or current levels. ## \\ ## @anorlunda What might your assessment be, of this apparatus? IMO, a resistor in the circuit and an oscilloscope would be useful in probing the voltage, and certainly not wet hands or your tongue.

At first I thought that a 9V battery was intrinsicly safe because of the low energy. I wasn't considering the coil. But if we add a coil and contacts, we approximate a 12V ignition system for a car, which creates a spark big enough for a spark plug.

In most circumstances, the shock would not injure. But there are always unforeseen circumstances --- someone with a pacemaker, someone who misses his tongue and touches his eye, and so on. So, not safe when a coil is included.

Dangerous topics are not allowed on PF. Touching live wires is categorically a dangerous topic IMO. Sensing voltages with human touch should also be categorically dangerous IMO.Thread closed.

Likes vanhees71 and Charles Link

1. What is the purpose of combining a coil, zinkplate, copperplate, and 9V battery?

The purpose of combining these materials is to create a simple circuit that can produce an electric shock. The coil acts as an electromagnet, while the zinkplate and copperplate act as electrodes for the electrical current to flow through. The 9V battery provides the necessary voltage to power the circuit.

2. How does the coil create an electric shock?

The coil is made up of a series of loops of wire. When an electric current flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. This magnetic field can induce a current in nearby conductive materials, such as the zinkplate and copperplate, creating an electric shock.

3. What is the role of the zinkplate and copperplate in this setup?

The zinkplate and copperplate act as electrodes for the electric current to flow through. They are made of conductive materials, which means they allow electricity to pass through them easily. When connected to the coil and battery, they complete the circuit and allow the electric shock to be produced.

4. Can this setup be dangerous?

Yes, this setup can be dangerous if not handled properly. The electric shock produced by this circuit can be strong enough to cause harm, especially if someone has a pre-existing heart condition. It is important to use caution and proper safety measures when experimenting with electricity.

5. Are there any practical applications for this setup?

Yes, this setup has some practical applications. One example is in medical devices, such as defibrillators, which use an electric shock to restart the heart. This setup can also be used in educational settings to demonstrate the principles of electricity and magnetism.