Coilgun with car audio capacitors

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of car audio capacitors in a coilgun and questions whether it is possible and how to build it. The speaker mentions that electrolytic capacitors are more commonly used but expensive in their country. It is mentioned that capacitors have limits on current and that charging them should be done carefully to avoid arcing. The thread is then closed due to discussing dangerous activities.
Pyi Shan
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I just started working on my first coilgun. I've watched several tutorials on how to build a coilgun but all the capacitors they use in the coilguns are electrolytic capacitors. The capacitors don't deliver as much energy as the car audio capacitors. I'm wondering if it is possible to use car audio capacitors in my coilgun and if it is possible how i should build my coilgun. I've planned to use five 5F 24V car audio capacitors as I can buy them in Myanmar and electrolytic capacitors are extremely rare and expensive in Myanmar. Please give me suggestions on how to build a coilgun or railgun out of these car audio capacitors.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Capacitors have some limits on the current you can get from them. I don't know how much current you get out of your car audio capacitors.

Even if you didn't have current limits on the capacitor, you'd still have to contend with the capacitor discharge equation: I = V/R*exp(-t/RC).

I thought about building a coilgun with car audio caps before, and I don't see why it can't work. It might be hard on the cap simply because they're not designed to fully discharge all the time. Just be careful charging them up because you're not supposed to just hook them up directly to a 24V source. You have to slowly charge them to avoid arcing across the terminals.

We don't discuss dangerous activities here. Thread is closed.

Hello and welcome to the forum! It's great to see your interest in building a coilgun. While car audio capacitors may have a higher energy storage capacity compared to electrolytic capacitors, it is important to note that they may not be suitable for use in a coilgun.

Firstly, car audio capacitors are designed for a specific purpose, which is to provide a surge of power to an audio system. This means that they may not be able to handle the rapid discharge and high currents required for a coilgun. Using them in a coilgun may result in damage to the capacitors or the coilgun itself.

Additionally, the voltage rating of the capacitors may not be high enough for a coilgun. Most coilguns require a voltage of several hundred volts to function properly, and car audio capacitors may not be able to handle this high voltage.

If electrolytic capacitors are rare and expensive in Myanmar, you may want to consider using other types of capacitors that are more commonly available. You could also try purchasing them online from international sellers.

As for suggestions on how to build a coilgun, there are many resources available online with step-by-step instructions and diagrams. It's important to carefully follow these instructions and take all necessary safety precautions when building a coilgun.

In conclusion, while it may be tempting to use car audio capacitors in your coilgun, it is not recommended as they may not be suitable for this purpose. It would be best to use other types of capacitors that are specifically designed for high-energy applications. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is a coilgun with car audio capacitors?

A coilgun with car audio capacitors is a type of electromagnetic accelerator that uses capacitors typically found in car audio systems to store and release energy to propel a projectile at high speeds.

2. How does a coilgun with car audio capacitors work?

A coilgun with car audio capacitors works by using the stored energy in the capacitors to create a magnetic field that accelerates a projectile through a series of coils. As the projectile passes through each coil, the magnetic field pushes it forward, increasing its velocity until it exits the gun.

3. What are the advantages of using car audio capacitors in a coilgun?

One advantage of using car audio capacitors in a coilgun is their ability to store large amounts of energy in a short amount of time, allowing for rapid firing. Additionally, car audio capacitors are relatively inexpensive and easily accessible, making them a cost-effective option for building a coilgun.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using a coilgun with car audio capacitors?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when working with a coilgun using car audio capacitors. The high voltage and current can be dangerous, and it is important to take proper precautions and follow safety guidelines when building and operating a coilgun. Additionally, the projectile can cause harm if not handled properly, so it is important to wear appropriate protective gear.

5. Can a coilgun with car audio capacitors be used for practical purposes?

While coilguns with car audio capacitors can be powerful and impressive, they are not typically used for practical purposes. They are often used for experimentation and as a hobby project. However, some research is being done on using coilguns for launching small satellites into space, but this technology is still in its early stages.