Coils & Questions: Charging Batteries with Magnets

• Thread starter secondfret
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coils
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of charging a battery by passing a heavy steel object over a coil wrapped around a series of magnets. The speaker predicts that this method would not be practical due to the significantly less amount of current generated compared to the traditional method of using moving magnets. The conversation then explores another scenario of using a large coil with small magnets attached to it, but the expert summarizer notes that this would not be advantageous as the additional metal would create eddy currents and result in energy loss. The conversation ends with the reminder that there is no such thing as a free lunch and any energy conversion would involve some kind of force and loss.
secondfret
Ok, you know those flashlights that you shake to charge the battery? I'm no physics major, but I get the basic idea. The magnet is passed through the coil, creating an electrical current. So here's my question:
Imagine I changed the structure of the coil a bit. If I take a series of magnets (arranged in a straight line), wrap a coil around them, and then pass a heavy steel object rapidly over the coil, will it have the same effect? Grant it, the magnets aren't moving inside the coil, but the steel object outside the coil will interact with each magnet inside the coil as it passes over them, creating a traveling flux in the magnetic field inside the coil. So just like in the flashlight, there's an constantly changing magnetic field inside a coil of wires connected to a battery. Will it charge the battery?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine the changing flux will be significantly less than for the case of moving magnets, and thus the current generated will be significantly less. I predict you couldn't generate enough current to charge the battery enough to be practical.

Any particular reason you ask? Did you have some kind of device in mind?

Oh you know, glory, riches and solving the energy crisis. But I guess you've brought me back down to Earth. Let's look at this one more way. Forgive my ignorance if this is poses the exact same problem.

This time I have a large coil in which small magnets are attached to every inch of the inner surface. Now I pass a steel object rapidly through the coil... anything?

As you can see I'm trying to create a coil that generates electricity without the benefit of a moving magnet. I can only use moving metal objects. Any insight?

I don't see any advantage to this. Magnets are metallic, so why do you prefer to have additional metal in there?

It's not an advantage, it's a limitation :)
Forgive me for being purposely vague

You'll find that whatever the mechanism there's a force between the moving object and the coils by which the mechanical energy is being converted (via negative work) to the electrical energy. Or as Larry Niven's Lunies would say: "TANSTAAFL"

Let me add, that any metal you have moving around the magnets will have eddy currents generated within them since they are conductors as well as potentially ferromagnetic. This will add greatly to the loss of energy in whateveritisyourtryingtodo. Think of the piece of metal as a coil which is shorted out.

Related to Coils & Questions: Charging Batteries with Magnets

1. What is the principle behind charging batteries with magnets?

The principle behind charging batteries with magnets is electromagnetic induction. When a magnet moves relative to a coil of wire, it generates a current in the wire. This current can be used to charge a battery.

2. How do coils and magnets work together to charge a battery?

The coil of wire, also known as an inductor, is wrapped around a core material such as iron. When a magnet moves through the coil, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a current in the wire. This current can then be used to charge a battery.

3. Is this method of charging batteries more efficient than traditional methods?

Yes, charging batteries with magnets can be more efficient than traditional methods such as plugging into a power outlet. This is because there is less energy loss during the process of electromagnetic induction compared to converting electricity from the grid into the battery.

4. What types of batteries can be charged with magnets?

Most types of batteries can be charged with magnets, including lithium-ion, nickel-metal hydride, and lead-acid batteries. However, the efficiency and effectiveness may vary depending on the type and size of the battery.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to charging batteries with magnets?

While charging batteries with magnets can be a more efficient and eco-friendly method, there are some potential risks and drawbacks. These include the need for precise alignment between the magnets and coils, and the potential for overheating or damaging the battery if too much current is induced.