Coincidences? (high relative velocities and strong gravitational fields causing time dilation)

In summary, the faster the relative speed or the more intense the gravitational field, the slower time passes. Both are explained by spacetime geometry and are consequences of the four-dimensional nature of spacetime. The speed of light in vacuum is a common factor between electromagnetic and gravitational waves, and both are associated with massless wave equations. The concept of "relativistic mass" is not relevant in general relativity and the idea of time passing slowly is not a valid concept in this context.
Lutz-F
TL;DR Summary
Two sets of questions (time and c) – maybe fundamental, but probably naive...
The faster the relative speed or the more intense the gravitational field, the slower time passes. Does it make sense to ask what both have in common that affects time? Or does the question possibly only make sense in the context of certain theories, for example the LQG, where space and time arise through the interactions of gravitational quanta?

Is it a coincidence that both electromagnetic waves and gravitational waves move in a vacuum with the speed c? Is there an underlying cause? Is the reason for this a fundamental property of spacetime or space quanta or gravitational quanta?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lutz-F said:
The faster the relative speed or the more intense the gravitational field, the slower time passes. Does it make sense to ask what both have in common that affects time?
Both are explained by spacetime geometry. The time dimension is part of four-dimensional spacetime and time dilation is a consequence of that.

Lutz-F said:
Is it a coincidence that both electromagnetic waves and gravitational waves move in a vacuum with the speed c? Is there an underlying cause? Is the reason for this a fundamental property of spacetime or space quanta or gravitational quanta?
The speed of light in vacuum (##c##) is essentially it's a conversion factor between units of length and time. It also represents the speed at which massless radiation propagates in vacuum.

It's not much of a coincidence that gravitational waves also travel at ##c##, as it arises from the same mathematical basis.

Likes Dale
PeroK said:
Both are explained by spacetime geometry. The time dimension is part of four-dimensional spacetime and time dilation is a consequence of that.
The two different processes have the same effect due to the structure of our universe. That is very general...

PeroK said:
It's not much of a coincidence that gravitational waves also travel at , as it arises from the same mathematical basis.
Does that mean that electromagnetic waves and gravitational waves have at least one common property? Or, in principle, are both waves traveling properties of spacetime? Do they have that in common? Or is the reason for the same mathematical basis the common past as primal force in the Planck epoch?

Lutz-F said:
Does that mean that electromagnetic waves and gravitational waves have at least one common property? Or, in principle, are both waves traveling properties of spacetime? Do they have that in common?
Both EM and gravitational waves are associated with massless wave equations, which imply null paths through spacetime.

• Informative
Likes Lutz-F
Lutz-F said:
The faster the relative speed or the more intense the gravitational field, the slower time passes. Does it make sense to ask what both have in common that affects time?

PeroK said:

Is the inertial mass bigger in a more intense gravitational field (for example on earth) than in a less intense gravitational field (for example on the moon)? Is the inertial mass bigger in a system with faster relative speed? Is that what they have in common that affects spacetime in the same way?

Generally we have an invariant mass in GR that is independent of coordinates or the local gravitational field.

So the notion of "inertial mass" is out of date? What is the alternative? Faster relative speed effects spacetime in the same way as a more intense gravitational field. - Does faster relative speed cause a kind of bow wave in spacetime that more and more impedes acceleration?

Lutz-F said:
So the notion of "inertial mass" is out of date? What is the alternative? Faster relative speed effects spacetime in the same way as a more intense gravitational field. - Does faster relative speed cause a kind of bow wave in spacetime that more and more impedes acceleration?
There's an equivalence between inertial and gravitational mass. The issue here may be that you are thinking of the concept of "relativistic" mass. This is not relevant to GR and gravitation - so your question is based on a false premise. In general, you are better not using the concept of relativistic mass when looking at modern physics. See, for example:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/what-is-relativistic-mass-and-why-it-is-not-used-much/

• Informative
Likes Lutz-F
Thank you for your patience and your answers. I think I need to realize that there is no answer for my initial question:
Lutz-F said:
Maybe the question really does not make sense. Your answer:
PeroK said:
Both are explained by spacetime geometry.
seems to be an answer for many questions. I thought that there are not only the laws and formulas but some knowledge of the processes behind.

Lutz-F said:
The faster the relative speed or the more intense the gravitational field, the slower time passes.
Lutz-F said:
Maybe the question really does not make sense.
It does not make sense to speak of time passing slowly. It only makes sense to speak of time passing slowly for one clock compared to another clock.

In the case of relative speed, the discrepancy in clock rates is an artifact of the way you compare the clocks. It is symmetric. Each clock sees the other run slow because each will conventionally use its own synchronization standard when comparing itself with the other. This sort of time dilation is not so much a physical effect as an artifact of coordinate choice.

In the case of a gravitational field it is not the field intensity that matters. It is the gravitational potential -- how deep you are in the gravitational well that comes into play. The local gravitational acceleration does not matter. For clocks hovering in a gravitational field there is little ambiguity about synchronization and there is an asymmetry to the relative clock rates. The lower clock is seen by the higher clock to run slow. The higher clock is seen by the lower clock to run fast. This sort of time dilation might be considered physical rather than merely an artifact of coordinate choice.

• Informative
Likes Lutz-F and PeroK
Lutz-F said:
Thank you for your patience and your answers. I think I need to realize that there is no answer for my initial question:
Let me ask a different question. If I walk in a straight line on a flat plane then this is shorter route than a zigzag path. If I walk on the surface of a cone I circumnavigate the cone in less distance if I walk near the point than if I walk far from the point. Is this a coincidence?

What answer would you accept to that if "it's just the way the geometry works" isn't acceptable? I can't think of much - it's just that there are longer and shorter routes through space, just as there are through spacetime.

Likes jbriggs444
@jbriggs444: Now I see the difference - and my lack of knowledge. I just read about the twin paradox and I realized that it is often oversimplified, described without the details.

@Ibix: I acceps the anwers and I'm satisfied.

Thank you all.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects that are moving at different speeds or in different gravitational fields. This is due to the theory of relativity, which states that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as velocity and gravity.

2. How does high relative velocity cause time dilation?

According to the theory of relativity, time dilation occurs because as an object's speed increases, its relative velocity through space also increases. This means that the object experiences time at a slower rate compared to an object that is stationary or moving at a slower speed. This effect becomes more pronounced as the speed of the object approaches the speed of light.

3. How does strong gravitational fields cause time dilation?

In the theory of relativity, gravity is described as the curvature of space-time. This means that objects with a strong gravitational field, such as planets or stars, create a curvature in space-time that can affect the passage of time. This causes time to pass slower for objects in strong gravitational fields compared to those in weaker gravitational fields.

4. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation is a real phenomenon that has been observed and measured in various experiments and observations. For example, GPS satellites have to account for time dilation in order to accurately calculate the position of objects on Earth. Additionally, astronauts in space experience time dilation due to their high speeds and weaker gravitational fields.

5. Are coincidences related to time dilation?

Coincidences can sometimes be related to time dilation, as events that may seem coincidental could actually be a result of time dilation. For example, if two objects are moving at high relative velocities, their perception of time may be different, leading to events that seem coincidental to an outside observer. However, not all coincidences can be explained by time dilation and there may be other factors at play.