Collapse of a neutron star - strong nuclear force vs gravity

In summary, gravity is the weakest of the four forces and is what causes a neutron star larger than about 10 solar masses to collapse into a black hole.
brajesh
TL;DR Summary
If gravity is the "weakest force", how does it collapse a neutron star?
I understand that gravity causes a neutron star larger than about 10 solar masses to collapse into a black hole.

I also understand that gravity is the weakest of the four forces.

So I find this counterintuitive and I'm puzzled that why is it gravity that causes the collapse and NOT the strong nuclear force?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitation's strength falls off as ##1/r^2##. By contrast, the nuclear force (aka the residual strong force) is more like an inverse exponential and beyond a few femtometers, comparable to the diameter of several nucleons, the strength is virtually zero. So any single nucleon only really exerts a meaningful force through the nuclear force to perhaps a few dozen or so other nucleons while it's gravitational interaction only drops to 'insignificant' at a much, much larger distance.

Even though gravitation is much weaker, the inverse exponential behavior of the nuclear force makes it get so small, so rapidly that at large distances gravitation simply dominates despite starting out weaker.

Likes Delta2
brajesh said:
why is it gravity that causes the collapse and NOT the strong nuclear force?
Neutrons are fermions, so when the density of the inner core exceeds some critical value, the Pauli exclusion principle takes over the attraction of the strong force, providing pressure needed to stop further collapse. Only when the star is massive enough, this neutron degeneracy pressure cannot support the remnant against gravity, and the result of further collapse is a black hole.

• Informative
Likes hmmm27
lomidrevo said:
Neutrons are fermions, so when the density of the inner core exceeds some critical value, the Pauli exclusion principle takes over the attraction of the strong force, providing pressure needed to stop further collapse.

Did you mean gravity? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Drakkith said:
Did you mean gravity? Or am I misunderstanding you?
I mean strong (nuclear) force, but I could have written it much better, indeed. Let me reformulate the sentence: at very short distances the strong nuclear force is not attractive anymore, but repulsive due to Pauli exclusion principle.

In previous post I wanted to describe it differently: pauli exclusion principle (repulsive) acting against strong nuclear force (attractive). But that is probably not correct, according to update of my very limited knowledge of quantum chromodynamics :rolleyes: The exclusion principle is already built into the strong force, so I perhaps should not treat them as two different "forces" acting against each other.

Of course, the same principle acts against the gravity (providing the neutron degeneracy pressure), that is the true key point. But for some reason the OP seem to be intrigued by the question: Why NOT strong force is causing the collapse? The brief answer I would provide now is: because strong force becomes repulsive as the nucleons are being compressed together.

Likes Drakkith
My answer to this:(you may laugh, I think its funny anyway)
Gravity is like a HUGE (huge mass that accumulates) but weak Giant, while strong force is like a powerful mosquito. We all understand that a HUGE GIANT no matter how weak can eventually (he might have some trouble in the process) crash a powerful mosquito.

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a highly dense and compact object that is formed when a massive star collapses under its own gravity after running out of nuclear fuel. It is composed almost entirely of neutrons and has a diameter of about 20 kilometers.

2. How does a neutron star collapse?

When a massive star runs out of nuclear fuel, there is no longer enough energy to counteract the force of gravity. This causes the star to collapse in on itself, compressing its core to an incredibly dense state.

3. What is the strong nuclear force?

The strong nuclear force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and the weak nuclear force. It is responsible for holding together the nucleus of an atom, and is the strongest force in the universe.

4. How does the strong nuclear force prevent a neutron star from collapsing?

The strong nuclear force is incredibly powerful and is able to counteract the force of gravity within the core of a neutron star. This prevents the star from collapsing further and stabilizes its structure.

5. What happens when the strong nuclear force is overcome by gravity in a neutron star?

When a neutron star becomes too massive, the force of gravity overcomes the strong nuclear force and the star collapses even further, resulting in a black hole. The exact mass limit for a neutron star to become a black hole is still unknown.