Collecting News Fails: How Not to Report on Airplanes

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration with news media and their tendency to make mistakes and prioritize profit over accuracy. This is exemplified through an example of a news cluster featuring the Airbus A380 and A320, where a typo is made and a stock marketing video is used to complete the story. The conversation also mentions the common occurrence of such news fails on all news channels and shares some humorous videos as examples.
russ_watters
Mentor
I often post news fails because the media annoys me, so I think I'll start collecting them into one thread. Here's a doozy I saw today on CNN.com :

A3Whut.jpg

Here's how this happens:
Step 1: Two interesting stories about the Airbus A380 happen in 24 hours, which lends itself to a cluster format, with a picture.
Step 2: Someone who knows a little less than nothing about airplanes or names makes a typo or otherwise confuses an A380 with an A320.
Step 3: Needing a third "story" to properly format their news cluster, they pull a stock marketing video from Airbus for the A320 and slap it into the cluster.
Step 4: Profit!

Per unit mass, some reporter or website editor was wrong by 694%!

[Mod note: This thread is intended to be a light-hearted place for posting news fails such as typos and gaffes, in a similar spirit to the "Funny Pictures..." thread in the Current Events" forum. Please keep it tasteful and do not start any political arguments. Thanks.]

Last edited:
Likes Pepper Mint and 1oldman2
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a shame, yes. Unfortunately this is more common than it is rare. I've seen it on almost all news channels, including such serious ones as BBC. The A320 as well as the B-737 are the cash cows of their companies.

No news fail thread is complete without some classic videos! Warning some of these are moderately NSFW (language slips).

Likes Pepper Mint and russ_watters
russ_watters said:
Step 4: Profit!
Thats what its all about, nothing else matters, not even accuracy. (good thread by the way)

Likes fresh_42

1. What is the purpose of collecting news fails?

The purpose of collecting news fails is to illustrate common mistakes and pitfalls in news reporting, specifically when it comes to reporting on airplanes. By analyzing and documenting these mistakes, we can learn from them and improve the accuracy and quality of news reporting.

2. How do news fails impact the public's perception of airplanes?

News fails can have a significant impact on the public's perception of airplanes. When inaccurate or sensationalized information is reported, it can create fear and mistrust towards airplanes and the aviation industry. This can lead to unnecessary panic and misinformation, which can ultimately harm the public's understanding of airplane safety.

3. What are some common mistakes made in reporting on airplanes?

Some common mistakes in reporting on airplanes include misidentifying aircraft models, using incorrect terminology, and failing to fact-check information. Other mistakes include sensationalizing incidents and accidents, reporting on rumors or unverified information, and using biased or misleading language.

4. How can collecting news fails help improve news reporting?

By collecting news fails and analyzing them, we can identify patterns and common mistakes in news reporting on airplanes. This knowledge can then be used to develop guidelines and best practices for journalists and news organizations to follow when reporting on airplanes. It can also serve as a reminder to fact-check and verify information, use accurate terminology, and avoid sensationalism in reporting.

5. What can journalists do to prevent news fails when reporting on airplanes?

To prevent news fails when reporting on airplanes, journalists can take several steps. These include fact-checking and verifying information from multiple sources, using accurate terminology, avoiding sensationalism, and seeking expert opinions when necessary. It is also important for journalists to be aware of their biases and strive for objectivity in their reporting.