What Is the Final Velocity of the Black Ball After Collision?

In summary, a black ball traveling up the center line at 1.5 m/s collides with a white ball which is propelled at an angle of 35 degrees to the left of the original direction of the black ball. The final velocity of the black ball is 0.52 m/s.
Dreaam
Collision Question: (URGENT) Exam tomorrow

Hi all,
I have an exam on collision and projectile motion tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone could answer this question: I get an answer, but my friend gets a completely different answer. I was wondering if anyone could just clarify and show us the correct answer. All help greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Homework Statement

A black billiard ball travels up the centre line at 1.5 m/s. It's mass is 250g, it strikes a white ball of the same mass which is propelled at an angle of 35 degrees to the left of the original direction of the black ball. The white ball final speed is 0.9 m/s. What is the final velocity of the black ball?

Homework Equations

m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2
tanθ = sinθ/cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did:

Find x and y components of the unknown final velocity's vector's magnitude.

Let Vb = Velocity of black ball
θb = angle the black ball is moved in after collision

x-component:
(0.25 * 0) + (0.25 * 1.5 cos 90) = (0.25 * 0.9 cos 125) + (0.25 Vb cos θb)
0 = -0.13 + 0.25 Vb cos θb
0.13 = 0.25 Vb cos θb
Vb cos θb = 0.13 / 0.25 = 0.52 m/s

y-component
(0.25 * 0) + (0.25 * 1.5 sin 90) = (0.25 * 0.9 sin 125) + (0.25 * Vb sin θb)
0 + 0.375 = 0.18 + 0.25 Vb sin θb
0.375 - 0.18 = 0.25 Vb sin θb
0.195 = 0.25 Vb sin θb
Vb sin θb = 0.195/ 0.25 = 0.78 m/s

So from this, using the magnitudes a right angle triangle can be formed:
positive 0.78 (north direction) being the vertical side
positive 0.52 (east direction) being the horizontal side

to find the resultant vector
r = sqroot (0.52^2 + 0.78^2)
r = 0.87 m/s

to find the direction:
tanθ = sin θ / cosθ
tanθb = vb sin θb / vb cos θb
tanθb = 0.78 / 0.52
θb = tan^-1 (0.78 / 0.52)
θb = 56.30

Therefore: the black ball after collision is moving at 0.87 m/s in a direction of 56.30 degrees north of east.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please post a picture showing the directions and θ?

I've attached the file.

Edit: Sorry the angle should be 35.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 446
Dreaam said:
(0.25 * 0) + (0.25 * 1.5 cos 90) = (0.25 * 0.9 cos 125) + (0.25 Vb cos θb)
0 = -0.13 + 0.25 Vb cos θb
You shouldn't still have a .25 in there.
Here's a really good piece of advice: work entirely symbolically until the last step. Only then plug in the actual numbers. This makes it much easier to find mistakes and for other people to follow what you are doing. In the above, you might then have spotted that the dimensions didn't make sense, having removed mass from all except one term. It also helps to preserve precision and minimise calculation because you often get cancellation in the algebra.

Thank you for your feedback haruspex, my question is: even if I included the 0.25 values, wouldn't the outcome still be the same? Or have I made a mistake along the way?

You've jumbled up sin and cos mate. x-component will have sinθ and y-component will have cosθ. Change that and solve again.

Dreaam said:
Thank you for your feedback haruspex, my question is: even if I included the 0.25 values, wouldn't the outcome still be the same?
No, it is an error that will change the answer. You canceled the 0.25 out of three terms but missed the fourth. You made the same mistake in the y direction.

siddharth23 is also right - you've mixed up sin and cos on the RHS of your equations.

I see where I went wrong. Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Anytime mate..

1. What is a collision?

A collision is a situation in which two or more objects come into contact with each other, resulting in a change in their motion or properties.

2. How does a collision affect objects?

A collision can cause objects to change their speed, direction, or shape. In some cases, it may also result in damage or destruction of the objects involved.

3. What factors determine the outcome of a collision?

The outcome of a collision depends on factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of the objects involved, as well as the type of collision (elastic or inelastic).

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, objects bounce off each other without losing any kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and the objects may stick together or deform.

5. How can collisions be predicted or calculated?

Collisions can be predicted or calculated using the laws of conservation of momentum and energy. These laws state that the total momentum and energy of a system before and after a collision will remain constant.