Color of Microscopic Particles?

In summary, atoms and molecules can emit various colors under different conditions, but this has nothing to do with their color as we perceive it. Color is determined by the light that is emitted or reflected by the object.
RyanXXVI
Do molecules, atoms, and subatomic particles have color? If so, what? Is it even possible to determine if they do or not (Can electron microscopes see electrons?)? Is color even relevant at lengths this small? I would elaborate more but these questions are fairly straightforward.

Physics news on Phys.org
For atoms and molecules color can be defined as the spectral lines of the given species.

Color is either (a) from light emitted by the object - a luminous body, or (b) from light reflected by the body.

Atoms and molecules emit different wavelengths of light when excited differently; these are the spectral lines referred to by mathman. For example you can generate the spectrum for different atoms and their ions at this NIST site, and "see" what colors they would emit under varying conditions: http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/ASD/lines_form.html

An elementary discussion can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emission_spectrum
In addition they show the spectral lines for hydrogen and iron.

The absorption spectrum is also of interest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_spectrum

For case (b), the reflected light, this depends upon the incident light, and which color are absorbed by the reflecting body - whatever is not absorbed, some will be scattered back to you and will provide the color. An apple observed under different lighting conditions will have different colors - which is why artists like to vary the lighting.

Finally, to answer your question: no, electron microscopes don't see color, nor do they see electrons. I've done a lot of work with both, and the color you will see is due to the phosphor at the detector; green is quite popular!

RyanXXVI said:
Do molecules, atoms, and subatomic particles have color? If so, what? Is it even possible to determine if they do or not (Can electron microscopes see electrons?)? Is color even relevant at lengths this small? I would elaborate more but these questions are fairly straightforward.

Each animal need radiation to see the objects. I think molecules, atoms, and subatomic particles will be seen to have different colors depending on the radiation or radiations used to see them. They don't have a permanent color. I can't say anything with certainty, I mean don't believe me completely.

Last edited:
RyanXXVI said:

It depends on what you mean by "have color".
Molecules, atoms, and smaller can be made to emit, absorb, and/or scatter light of various wavelengths, and you could call that "having a color" if you wish... but this property bears no resemblance to our intuitive notion of color as something that you perceive when you look at a macroscopic object.

RyanXXVI said:

There a rather fundamental misunderstanding here that makes this question a bit vague.

First of all, an electron microscope DOES NOT observe electrons. It USES electrons, instead of light as in the regular optical microscope, to view objects.

Secondly, what you should ask that makes this a clearer physics question is whether atoms, molecules, particles, etc emit EM radiation, and if they emit such radiation with a unique characteristics. This makes it clearer because "color" in this context simply means an EM radiation of a particular frequency.

As has been stated, atoms and molecules emit a SPECTRUM of EM frequency, most of these are of a unique set. This is why we could identify the elements and make up of celestial objects.

On the other hand, elementary particles do not often have such uniqueness. I can take a bunch of electrons and shake them up and down at different frequencies and produce different frequencies of EM radiation. Electrons have been used in accelerators and synchrotron centers to produce EM radiation ranging from IR all the way to hard x-rays.

Zz.

1. What is the color of a microscopic particle?

The color of a microscopic particle can vary greatly depending on the material it is made of and its size. Some particles have a distinct color, while others may appear colorless.

2. How does the color of a microscopic particle affect its properties?

The color of a microscopic particle can be an indicator of its chemical composition, structure, and optical properties. For example, particles with different colors may absorb or reflect light differently, affecting their interactions with other particles and their environment.

3. Can the color of a microscopic particle change?

Yes, the color of a microscopic particle can change due to various factors such as changes in its environment, interactions with other particles, or chemical reactions. This change in color can also alter the particle's properties and behavior.

4. How do scientists determine the color of a microscopic particle?

Scientists use various techniques such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and colorimetry to determine the color of a microscopic particle. These methods involve analyzing the particle's interactions with light and measuring its absorbance, reflectance, or emission of specific wavelengths.

5. Can the color of a microscopic particle be used for identification?

Yes, the color of a microscopic particle can be used for identification in some cases. However, it should not be the sole factor in identifying a particle as it may vary depending on its environment. Other characteristics such as size, shape, and composition should also be considered.