Colors of Alien Blood: Oxygenation Chemistry Explained

• Thread starter newjerseyrunner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alien Blood
In summary, the alien in the story has a blood that is different from humans. It is possible that the color of the alien's blood is due to some chemical that is needed in large amounts. The color of the alien's blood might be different from other animals, and the author is curious about this.
newjerseyrunner
I have an alien in one of my stories that bleeds. I want to use science to determine what the range of possible colors would be. It's an oxygen breathing alien, so it's blood has to be efficient at transporting it. I know our blood is red because we use iron to do that. I don't know enough about the chemistry of how oxygenation works to come up with any guesses for anything else.

First off: What other atoms or molecules can bind so easily with oxygen? I know copper reacts with oxygen to turn green, how easy is that process compared to iron?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you suppose the same chemical that carries oxygen has to be the one that causes the color?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you suppose the same chemical that carries oxygen has to be the one that causes the color?
One obvious reason: hemoglobin does both. Another: a chemical that carries oxygen is needed in large amounts. If it has colour, it would prevail over other coloured compounds in blood.

Here's a handy guide for different blood colours that occur in nature:

The-Chemistry-of-Blood-Colours-v2.png

• Informative
Likes jim mcnamara, BillTre, DaveC426913 and 3 others
I had no idea that Earth life had that kind of diversity in their blood. I thought most blood was mostly clear. I'm going to have to look through them and see what's most efficient. This creature is highly intelligent, and therefore has a huge energy requirements.

snorkack said:
Another: a chemical that carries oxygen is needed in large amounts. If it has colour, it would prevail over other coloured compounds in blood.

But it doesn't have to be colored. Fluosol, for example, is kind of milky, and works just fine as blood. Mix that with something orange, and presto! Orange blood. Or chartreuse. Or mauve. Or...

Likes newjerseyrunner and ProfuselyQuarky
Ryan_m_b said:
Here's a handy guide for different blood colours that occur in nature:

View attachment 189536
Penis worms have violet blood, neat.

I seen someone or something's blood orange?

newjerseyrunner said:
I have an alien in one of my stories that bleeds. I want to use science to determine what the range of possible colors would be.
Why must he bleed? If he is not made to bleed, then you can stop worrying about what kind of blood has has and its color.

Likes 256bits
symbolipoint said:
Why must he bleed? If he is not made to bleed, then you can stop worrying about what kind of blood has has and its color.
Maybe the alien gets bloodshots eyes when he is over tired, or gets embarassed quite easily( assume he has a similar response to this as humans ). His blood color could show through somehow, even if he does not bleed.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
@256bits, post #11 is clever. I would also wonder: Does the animal need to be like Mammal, or may it be some other taxonomic category? Only the author ( @newjerseyrunner ) would know this.

edit add: I say this since a different taxonomic category could be important in what kind of blood the animal uses.

Last edited:
Likes 256bits

1. What gives alien blood its color?

The color of alien blood is determined by the presence of different oxygen-carrying molecules, which vary from species to species. Just like humans have red blood due to hemoglobin, alien blood can have a range of colors including green, blue, purple, or even black.

2. How does alien blood carry oxygen?

Alien blood uses a variety of oxygen-carrying molecules, such as hemocyanin, hemerythrin, and chlorocruorin, to transport oxygen to their cells. These molecules have a different chemical structure than hemoglobin, allowing them to bind and release oxygen in unique ways.

3. Can alien blood carry more oxygen than human blood?

It is possible for some species of aliens to have blood that can carry more oxygen than human blood. This is because their oxygen-carrying molecules may have a higher affinity for oxygen, allowing them to absorb and transport more of it. However, other factors like atmospheric composition and metabolism also play a role in determining oxygen levels in alien blood.

4. Can oxygen levels affect the color of alien blood?

Yes, the level of oxygen in alien blood can affect its color. When oxygen binds to the oxygen-carrying molecules in the blood, it can change their color. For example, some alien species may have blue blood when oxygenated, but it turns colorless when deoxygenated.

5. Is there a universal color for alien blood?

No, there is no universal color for alien blood. The color of alien blood varies greatly depending on the species and the composition of their oxygen-carrying molecules. It is also influenced by other factors like environmental conditions and the alien's physiology.