Column of Mercury at Sea Level

In summary, at sea level, the atmospheric pressure can be measured in units of mm Hg or hPa and is equivalent to supporting a column of mercury with a height of 0.7600m. This support means that the air is pushing against a vacuum and can only push the mercury up to a certain height, which is independent of its cross-sectional area. This can be mathematically proven using the formula P = P_{0} + \rho(y_{0}-y_{1})g, where P_{0} is atmospheric pressure and P is the vacuum at the top of the tube. The mm/Hg measurement is a result of the minimal vapor pressure in the near vacuum, offering little additional offset to the weight of
Andrusko

Homework Statement

At sea level, the pressure of the standard terrestrial atmosphere will support a column of mercury of density 1.359 x 10^4 kg/m^3 and of height 0.7600m at a place where the acceleration due to gravity is 9.80665 m/s^2. Show that 1 atmosphere = 760 mm Hg = 1013hPa.

I really just want to know what "support" means.

Does it mean that at this pressure the mercury can only expand so far? So if you had a 1m long tube and you put the mercury in it it would rise 0.76m up the tube. Is it the case that the expansion of the mercury is independent of its area?

If you had a receptacle of cross sectional area A and one of cross sectional area B and you put the same amount of mercury into both would they rise the same distance? Because this doesn't seem right at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrusko said:

Homework Statement

At sea level, the pressure of the standard terrestrial atmosphere will support a column of mercury of density 1.359 x 10^4 kg/m^3 and of height 0.7600m at a place where the acceleration due to gravity is 9.80665 m/s^2. Show that 1 atmosphere = 760 mm Hg = 1013hPa.

I really just want to know what "support" means.

Does it mean that at this pressure the mercury can only expand so far? So if you had a 1m long tube and you put the mercury in it it would rise 0.76m up the tube. Is it the case that the expansion of the mercury is independent of its area?

If you had a receptacle of cross sectional area A and one of cross sectional area B and you put the same amount of mercury into both would they rise the same distance? Because this doesn't seem right at all.
There is a picture at this link that should help you understand what support means:
http://www.idahoop.org/education/lesson8b.htm

It means the air pushing toward the vacuum can only push 760 mm of Hg.

Thanks, that's cleared most of the problem up but I'm still having issues.

By definition atmospheric pressure can be measured in mm/Hg by how far up a tube mercury is pushed by it. The question specifies that the mercury is pushed up 760mm. How does one go about mathematically proving that? Or do I just state exactly what I've said? I got my answer in hPa like so:

I set the zero point to be the mercury-air interface and did a calculation with this formula:

[tex]P = P_{0} + \rho(y_{0}-y_{1})g[/tex]

[tex]P_{0} = 0.76*\rho*g[/tex]

where [tex]P_{0}[/tex] is atmospheric pressure. and [tex]P[/tex] is the vacuum at the top of the tube, and thus zero. After calculating, I get

[tex] P_{0} = 101287 Pa[/tex] which when divided by 100 to get it in hPa is 1013 hPa. Fair enough, but how can I prove the mm/Hg bit?

Andrusko said:
Thanks, that's cleared most of the problem up but I'm still having issues.

By definition atmospheric pressure can be measured in mm/Hg by how far up a tube mercury is pushed by it. The question specifies that the mercury is pushed up 760mm. How does one go about mathematically proving that? Or do I just state exactly what I've said? I got my answer in hPa like so:

I set the zero point to be the mercury-air interface and did a calculation with this formula:

[tex]P = P_{0} + \rho(y_{0}-y_{1})g[/tex]

[tex]P_{0} = 0.76*\rho*g[/tex]

where [tex]P_{0}[/tex] is atmospheric pressure. and [tex]P[/tex] is the vacuum at the top of the tube, and thus zero. After calculating, I get

[tex] P_{0} = 101287 Pa[/tex] which when divided by 100 to get it in hPa is 1013 hPa. Fair enough, but how can I prove the mm/Hg bit?

I'm at a loss to say it any other way than that there is minimal vapor pressure in the near vacuum, .01mm or something like that, and it offers little additional offset to help the mercury on the one side to the weight of the air on the other. So ...

[tex]P_{0} = \rho*g*h[/tex]

There is a temperature dependence to the vapor pressure, but I think that it is much tinier per degree C.

Fair enough, that makes sense.

Thanks for the help, LowlyPion.

What is a Column of Mercury at Sea Level?

A Column of Mercury at Sea Level is a measurement of atmospheric pressure at sea level using a barometer. It is calculated by the height of a column of mercury in a glass tube, with the weight of the mercury balancing the pressure of the surrounding air.

How is a Column of Mercury at Sea Level measured?

A Column of Mercury at Sea Level is measured using a barometer, which is a glass tube filled with mercury and inverted into a dish of mercury. The change in height of the mercury in the tube is used to calculate the atmospheric pressure.

What factors can affect the measurement of a Column of Mercury at Sea Level?

The measurement of a Column of Mercury at Sea Level can be affected by changes in temperature, altitude, and weather conditions. Higher temperatures can cause the mercury to expand, leading to a higher measurement. Similarly, higher altitudes have lower air pressure, resulting in a lower measurement. Changes in weather patterns can also impact the atmospheric pressure and, therefore, the measurement.

What is the significance of a Column of Mercury at Sea Level?

A Column of Mercury at Sea Level is an essential measurement in meteorology as it is used to determine changes in weather patterns and to make weather forecasts. It is also used in aviation and marine navigation to ensure safe operations at sea level.

How does a Column of Mercury at Sea Level compare to other units of atmospheric pressure measurement?

A Column of Mercury at Sea Level is one of the oldest and most widely used units of measuring atmospheric pressure. It is commonly used in scientific and weather forecasting applications. Other units of measurement include millimeters of mercury, inches of mercury, and pascals, which are used in different countries and industries.