Combinations of measurements: obtain mean and errors

In summary, the conversation discussed the Higgs Mass obtained from the diphoton channel by the ATLAS and CMS detectors. The combined result from both detectors was then calculated, and the process for obtaining the mean and error was explained. There was also a discussion about the systematic error and how it may be correlated between the two detectors. The need for a more sophisticated statistical analysis to combine the data was mentioned, as well as the possibility of having more significant figures in the data.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I was looking at the attached picture, where it gives the Higgs Mass obtained from the two different channels from ATLAS and CMS.

Let's only talk about the diphoton channel : [itex]H\rightarrow \gamma \gamma[/itex]
From the ATLAS the mass value is:
[itex]m_{Ah} =126.02 \pm 0.51[/itex]
and the CMS:
[itex]m_{Ch} =124.70 \pm 0.34[/itex]

Now it gives the combined result from ATLAS+CMS:
[itex]m_{ACh}=125.07 \pm 0.29[/itex]

How can obtain the mean and error for the ATLAS+CMS?

I tried getting the weights [itex]w_i = \sum_j (C^{-1})_{ij} \Big/ \sum_{kl} (C^{-1})_{kl}[/itex] with [itex]C[/itex] the covariance matrix. Since they are different detectors they are not correlated and so the covariance matrix only has the variances on the diagonal. I obtain:
[itex]w_A \approx 3.84468/12.4952[/itex]
[itex]w_C \approx 8.65052/12.4952[/itex]
And I calculate the combined mass:
[itex]\bar{m}_{ACh} = \sum_i w_i m_{ih} = 125.106[/itex]
I also tried to combine the errors. For the errors I used the statistical and systematic, given by:
[itex]syst= \sqrt{\sum_{ij} w_i w_j C_{ij}^{sys}}=\sqrt{w_A^2 0.27^2 + w_C^2 0.15^2}=0.133 \approx 0.13[/itex]
[itex]stat= \sqrt{\sum_{i} w_i^2 C_{ii}^{stat}}=\sqrt{w_A^2 0.43^2 + w_C^2 0.31^2}=0.252 \approx 0.25[/itex]
and [itex] \sigma_{tot} =\sqrt{(syst)^2+(stat)^2} =0.284 \approx 0.28[/itex]

My result reads:
[itex]m_{h}^{(A+C,2\gamma)}(GeV) = 125.106 \pm 0.28 ( 0.25_{stat} \pm 0.13_{sys})[/itex]
in comparison to
[itex]m_{h}^{(A+C,2\gamma)}(GeV) = 125.07 \pm 0.29 ( 0.25_{stat} \pm 0.14_{sys})[/itex]
given ..The problem appears in the systematic error...
Any idea? Mine is that the measurements are considered somehow correlated in the systematics?

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I strongly suspect they are using a more sophisticated statistical analysis than simply assuming everything is Gaussian ...

I don't know, I have seen several times giving the results from experiment A, experiment B etc... and then giving the A+B+... total result in similar figures.
So I'm trying to understand how they get the total result.

ChrisVer said:
I don't know, I have seen several times giving the results from experiment A, experiment B etc... and then giving the A+B+... total result in similar figures.

Of course you have, things are often very close to Gaussian. If this was all there was to combining ATLAS and CMS data, we would not need to wait for a combined analysis, anyone with a pocket calculator could do it.

A guess: they had data to more significant figures (for the errors) than presented.

1. What is the purpose of obtaining the mean and errors when combining measurements?

The mean and errors provide a way to accurately represent and analyze a set of measurements. The mean is a measure of central tendency that represents the average value of the measurements, while the errors provide information about the variability or uncertainty in the data.

2. How do you calculate the mean and errors for a set of measurements?

To calculate the mean, you simply add up all the measurements and divide by the total number of measurements. To calculate the errors, you can use methods such as standard deviation or confidence intervals, which take into account the variability in the data.

3. Can the mean and errors be affected by outliers in the data?

Yes, outliers can greatly impact the mean and errors. Outliers are values that are significantly different from the rest of the data, and they can skew the overall average and increase the variability in the data. It is important to identify and address outliers when obtaining the mean and errors.

4. How can the mean and errors be used to make conclusions about the measurements?

The mean and errors can be used to compare different sets of measurements or to determine if there is a significant difference between two groups. They can also be used to assess the precision and accuracy of the measurements and to identify any trends or patterns in the data.

5. What are some potential sources of error when obtaining the mean and errors?

Some potential sources of error include measurement error, sampling bias, and human error. It is important to carefully collect and record measurements to minimize error and to use appropriate methods for calculating the mean and errors to account for any sources of variability in the data.