Combinatorial problem on posets

• MHB
  • Thread starter I am not a robot
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a poset and its Hasse diagram, as well as useful definitions such as order-preserving functions and order polynomials. The question is to calculate the sum of the order polynomials for all subsets of a given set. The progress made shows that the sum is equal to a certain formula, but the speaker is unable to prove it. They mention that the cardinality of the set of natural labelings is equal to the set of permutations with a given descent set, but they were unable to use this fact to calculate the sum. They request help in solving the problem.
I am not a robot
Let \(\displaystyle n\in \mathbb{Z}_{>0}\). For every subset \(\displaystyle S\subseteq \left[ n-1\right]\) we define a poset \(\displaystyle P_S=\left([n],\le_{P_S}\right)\) given by the covering relation \(\displaystyle \lessdot\) which is defined as
\(\displaystyle \forall i\in S \qquad i+1\lessdot i \)
\(\displaystyle \forall i\in\left[n-1\right]\setminus S \qquad i\lessdot i+1\)​

Clearly, the Hasse diagram of these kind of orderings represents a path with an ordering defined by the corresponding set. For instance if \(\displaystyle n=3\) we have the posets
geogebra-export (7).png

Useful Definitions

- A function \(\displaystyle f\colon P_S\to [m]\) is called order-preserving for \(\displaystyle P_S\), if for any \(\displaystyle x,y\in P_S\)
\(\displaystyle x<_{P_S}y\implies f(x)\le f(y),\)​
where \(\displaystyle m\in\mathbb{Z_{>0}}\).
- We denote with \(\displaystyle \Omega(P_S,m)\) the order polynomial of \(\displaystyle P_S\) for \(\displaystyle m\), i.e.
\(\displaystyle \Omega(P_S,m)=\#\left\{ f\colon P_S\to [m]\,\mid f\;\; \text{is order-preserving}\right\}\)​
- We call an order-preserving bijection \(\displaystyle \omega\colon P_S\to[n]\) natural labeling of \(\displaystyle P_S\).
- For any permutation \(\displaystyle w\in\mathcal{S}_n\) we denote with \(\displaystyle \mathsf{Des}(w)\) the descent set of \(\displaystyle w\), i.e.
\(\displaystyle \mathsf{Des}(w)=\left\{ i\in\left[n\right]\mid w\left(i\right)>w\left(i+1\right)\right\} \)​

The question

We want to calculate, for any given \(\displaystyle m\in\mathbb{Z}_{>0}\) the sum of the order polynomials on the subsets \(\displaystyle S\subseteq[n-1]\), i.e.
\(\displaystyle \sum_{S\subseteq[n-1]}\Omega\left(P_{S},m\right).\)​
My progress

It seems that the requested sum is equal to
m(1+m)^{n-1},

but I did not manage to show it.----------------------It is not hard to show that the set of all the natural labelings for a given subset \(\displaystyle S\) has the same cardinality as the set of all permutations of \(\displaystyle [n]\) with descent set equal to \(\displaystyle S\), i.e.
\(\displaystyle \#\left\{ \omega\colon P_{S}\to[n]\mid\omega\;\text{natural labeling}\right\} =\#\left\{ w\in\mathcal{S}_{n}\mid\mathsf{Des}\left(w\right)=S\right\} .\)​

It is well known that
\(\displaystyle \Omega\left(P_{S},m\right)=\sum_{w\in A_{S}}\binom{m+n-\mathsf{des}\left(w\right)-1}{n},\)​
where \(\displaystyle A_S\) is the set of permutations that corresponds to the natural labelings of \(\displaystyle P_S\), i.e.
\(\displaystyle A_{S}=\left\{ w\in\mathcal{S}_{n}\mid w=\left(\omega\left(1\right),\omega\left(2\right),\dots,\omega\left(n\right)\right)\text{ for some natural labeling }\omega\text{ of }P_{S}\right\}\)​

I tried to use these facts in order to calculate the requested sum but I failed...I would love some help :)

1. What is a poset?

A poset, short for partially ordered set, is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary relation that defines a partial order among those elements. This partial order is reflexive, transitive, and antisymmetric, meaning that it is reflexive (every element is related to itself), transitive (if element A is related to element B and B is related to C, then A is related to C), and antisymmetric (if A is related to B and B is related to A, then A and B are the same element).

2. What is a combinatorial problem on posets?

A combinatorial problem on posets is a problem that involves finding or counting certain properties or structures within a partially ordered set. These problems often involve finding the number of linear extensions, chains, or antichains in a poset, among other things.

3. What is a linear extension?

A linear extension of a poset is a total order that preserves the partial order of the poset. In other words, it is a way of arranging the elements of a poset in a linear order that is consistent with the partial order defined by the poset. Finding the number of linear extensions in a poset is a common combinatorial problem on posets.

4. What is a chain in a poset?

A chain in a poset is a subset of elements that are all related to each other in the partial order. In other words, every element in a chain is either greater than or less than every other element in the chain. Finding the longest chain in a poset is another common combinatorial problem on posets.

5. What is an antichain in a poset?

An antichain in a poset is a subset of elements that are all unrelated to each other in the partial order. In other words, no element in an antichain is greater than or less than any other element in the antichain. Finding the largest antichain in a poset is also a common combinatorial problem on posets.