Combinatorics & probability density

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of picking specific numbers from two boxes containing different types of balls and how this can affect the probability of different combinations of numbers. It is mentioned that the problem can be approximated by sampling with replacement if the boxes are considered infinitely large. The idea of using a finite state Markov chain to model the process is also mentioned. The conversation also addresses a potential error in the problem and how the number of different balls in each box can affect the number of combinations.
Cathr
Suppose we have two boxes, each containing three types of balls. On each ball there's written a number:
First box: 1, 2, 3
Second box: 4, 5, 6
We don't know how many balls of each type there are, but we know the probability of taking out a specific one, so that we can make a graph showing the discrete probability density of each ball.
Knowing the probability of each number, can we calculate the probability of combinations of numbers?
Let's say if we take a random number from each box, how can we calculate the probability of the combination?
And what if, for example, we take out 3 balls from the first box and 3 from the other at once? (Here we must consider two cases: when the numbers may repeat themselves and when they are all different).

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sampling with or without replacement from each box? If without replacement, not knowing the underlying number of balls is going to be a problem (unless, of course, you can assure yourself it is sufficiently large and hence can be approximated by sampling with replacement...)

There's a lot of ways of attacking this when sampling with replacement -- drawing a directed graph of the process to model it as a finite state Markov chain main be enlightening.

Cathr said:
We don't know how many balls of each type there are, but we know the probability of taking out a specific one, so that we can make a graph showing the discrete probability density of each ball.

Loosely speaking there is no such thing as a "discrete probability density". You can plot a PMF. Or you could work with a CDF here, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

StoneTemplePython said:
Are you sampling with or without replacement from each box? If without replacement, not knowing the underlying number of balls is going to be a problem (unless, of course, you can assure yourself it is sufficiently large and hence can be approximated by sampling with replacement...)

There's a lot of ways of attacking this when sampling with replacement -- drawing a directed graph of the process to model it as a finite state Markov chain main be enlightening.

Loosely speaking there is no such thing as a "discrete probability density". You can plot a PMF. Or you could work with a CDF here, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Thanks for your response!

It can be approximated to sampling with replacement - we may imagine that boxes are infinitely large. What interests me is trying to find how the probability of picking each number separately can influence the probability of combinations of the numbers. Is there a formula that I can use? Can a finite state Markov chain model be applied here? I am not familiar with it at all, but if it's the case I will read more about it.

Also I spotted a mistake in the last sentence of the problem, when I considered that we pick 3 balls out of 3 from each box and they are all different. Obviously there's just one possible case, so I should have said that we pick 2 balls out of 3, here we may have more cases. Then the number of different balls in each box can be increased - to 10, 100 but that's more complicated because we would have more combinations.

1. What is combinatorics and how is it related to probability density?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of counting and arrangements of objects. It is related to probability density because it involves calculating the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario, which is important in determining the probability of events.

2. Can you give an example of how combinatorics is used in real life?

One example is in genetics, where combinatorics is used to calculate the probability of specific traits being inherited by offspring. It is also used in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and game theory.

3. What is probability density and how is it different from regular probability?

Probability density is a way of representing the probability of a continuous random variable. It differs from regular probability, which deals with discrete outcomes, in that it measures the likelihood of a range of values rather than a single value.

4. What are some common applications of probability density?

Probability density is commonly used in fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering to model and analyze various phenomena. It is also used in finance to calculate the risk associated with different investments.

5. How can knowledge of combinatorics and probability density be useful in decision making?

Understanding combinatorics and probability density can help in making informed decisions by providing a framework for analyzing and predicting outcomes. It can also aid in evaluating risks and making strategic choices based on the likelihood of different scenarios.