Combinatorics Problem: Finding Groups of 3 Numbers with Average Condition

In summary, the problem is asking for the number of ways to pick a group of three different numbers from the group ##1,2,3,...,500## such that one number is the average of the other two. After considering that the sum of two even numbers is even and the sum of two odd numbers is even, it can be determined that there are 31125 ways to pick two odd numbers and 31125 ways to pick two even numbers. Therefore, the total number of ways is 62250 when considering the order does not matter.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

In how many ways can we pick a group of 3 different numbers from the group ##1,2,3,...,500## such that one number is the average of the other two? (The order in which we pick the numbers does not matter.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I start by noting that in order to get a number in the group ##1,2,3,...,500## from the average of two other numbers from the group, those two numbers must be odd, since their sum must be even. There are 250 odd numbers from 1 to 500. Since the numbers have to be different, we have ##250 \cdot 249## ways to find two odd numbers from the list. However we are given that order does not matter, so we must divide by 2 to get ##\displaystyle \frac{250 \cdot 249}{2} = 31125##

However, the correct answer is apparently 62250, which is my answer times 2. My question is, since we are given that order does not matter, don't we have to divide by 2? Since x + y is not different than y + x? Where does my logic go wrong when I think that we should divide by 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I start by noting that in order to get a number in the group ##1,2,3,...,500## from the average of two other numbers from the group, those two numbers must be odd, since their sum must be even.
What is the sum of two even numbers?

Likes Mr Davis 97
Fightfish said:
What is the sum of two even numbers?
Ohhh... Don't know how I missed that. So the 31125 is correct for the odd numbers, but then we must add this to 31125, which is the number of even number pairs, which gets us to 62250.

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting, arranging, and selecting objects or elements in a specific way.

2. What is the "average condition" in this problem?

The "average condition" in this problem refers to the requirement that the average of the three numbers in a group must be equal to a given value.

3. How do you find groups of three numbers that meet the average condition?

To find groups of three numbers that meet the average condition, you can use a combination of techniques such as systematic listing, creating equations, and using logic to narrow down the possibilities.

4. Are there any specific strategies or formulas for solving combinatorics problems?

Yes, there are various strategies and formulas that can be used to solve combinatorics problems, such as permutations, combinations, and the binomial theorem. It is important to understand the problem and choose the appropriate technique for solving it.

5. Can combinatorics be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, combinatorics has many practical applications, such as in probability and statistics, computer science, and cryptography. It can also be used to solve problems in fields like economics, biology, and social sciences.