Combining loosely correlated data set

• Thread starter RobbieM.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Set
In summary, the speaker is seeking help in finding an appropriate statistics model for comparing simulated and experimental data for nuclide concentrations in spent nuclear fuel. They have a wide range of conditions and are looking to determine how well the simulation works and how to account for experimental uncertainty in consolidating the data into a single value. They are considering using mean deviation about the mean and setting a bound based on results where the model works poorly. They are also considering picking a set of conditions at random to determine a bound for how the model deviates from experiment.
RobbieM.
I need some help finding an appropriate statistics model for some experimental data. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I am trying to compare simulated results from a code that models nuclide concentrations in spent nuclear fuel to experimental data. These concentrations have complicated dependencies on starting concentrations, reactor conditions, fuel design, etc.

I have a set of experimental data (and associated standard error) representing fuel from a wide variety of the conditions listed above.

For each experimental data point I have a simulated result. The simulated result has no given error.

I am taking the ratio of measured value to calculated value (M/C) for a variety of nuclides to determine how well the simulation works and to conservatively correct future calculated values. If the simulation were perfect (and the measurements were perfect), all of the M/C values would be 1.0. However, I don't think I can really combine the data points as if each point were a measurement of the same value... because each is based on a different set of dependencies.

Previous work has treated the data as normally distributed... but I think that is a flawed approach. So how can I collapse my data set into a single value that will bound some known percentage of results and account for the experimental uncertainty? At this point I am considering using mean deviation about the mean, using experimental data points plus their respective error.

Physics news on Phys.org
RobbieM. said:
So how can I collapse my data set into a single value that will bound some known percentage of results and account for the experimental uncertainty?

Your goal isn't clear. For example, if I have a model that works well on one set of similar conditions and works badly on another set of conditions, the principle of "under promise, over perform" might lead me to publish the "bound" of some percentage based on results where the model works badly. On the other hand, if I assume a person picks a set of conditions "at random" (in a manner to be specified) from the possible sets of conditions, then I can ask for a bound on how the model deviates from experiment in such a scenario.

What is "combining loosely correlated data set"?

"Combining loosely correlated data set" refers to the process of merging or combining data sets that are not strongly related or have a weak correlation. This can help researchers gain a more comprehensive understanding of a topic by considering multiple perspectives.

Why is it important to combine loosely correlated data sets?

Combining loosely correlated data sets allows for a more holistic and nuanced analysis of a topic. It can help identify patterns, trends, and relationships that may not have been apparent when looking at each data set separately. This can lead to a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the subject matter.

What are some challenges when combining loosely correlated data sets?

Some challenges when combining loosely correlated data sets include ensuring the data is compatible and can be merged effectively, dealing with missing or incomplete data, and addressing potential biases in the data. It may also require advanced statistical techniques to analyze the combined data set.

What are some techniques for combining loosely correlated data sets?

There are several techniques for combining loosely correlated data sets, including data aggregation, data fusion, and data integration. Data aggregation involves combining data from different sources into one data set. Data fusion combines data sets by identifying and merging similar data points. Data integration involves combining data sets using a common variable or key.

What are some best practices for combining loosely correlated data sets?

Some best practices for combining loosely correlated data sets include clearly defining the research question or objective, carefully selecting and evaluating the data sets to be combined, ensuring the data is compatible and can be merged effectively, and using appropriate statistical methods for analysis. It is also important to document the process and any decisions made throughout the data combining process.