Combustion Texts or Other Resources?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is currently pursuing a Masters degree in mechanical engineering with a focus on combustion. They are looking for suggestions on introductory texts and online resources related to combustion. One person recommends "Principles of Combustion" by Kenneth Kuo, but notes that it can be difficult to follow. Another person suggests the combustion book by Stephen Turns as a supplement, as it is more introductory and easier to follow. They also mention two equilibrium calculators as useful online resources.
Saladsamurai
Hey folks! I am currently working through my masters in mechanical engineering with a focus on combustion. I have an introductory text by Stephen Turns that is pretty good and also a more advanced text by Chung Law, but I welcome any other suggestions people might have; the more introductory, the better :wink: .

I am also looking for any decent online resources that people have found useful. Any suggestions are welcome. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also in a MS program in Mechanical Engineering and just finished a class in Combustion. The book we used was "Principles of Combustion" by Kenneth Kuo (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471046892/?tag=pfamazon01-20).

I will say that book was incredibly dry and very difficult to follow, but had a lot of good info in it. The class was only bearable because of the very good Professor. The professor actually recommended the combustion book by Stephen Turns to supplement our class, because it was more intro and easier to follow. More example problems as well. I did some research myself into this, and you'll be hard pressed to find something more intro than Turns, unfortunately.

The online resoursces I found to be worthwhile were both equilibrium calculators:
http://navier.engr.colostate.edu/tools/equil.html
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/CEAWeb/

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Combustion Texts or Other Resources?

1. What is combustion?

Combustion is a chemical reaction that occurs when a fuel (such as gas, wood, or oil) combines with oxygen to release energy in the form of heat and light.

2. How does combustion work?

In combustion, the fuel is heated to its ignition temperature, causing it to break down into smaller molecules. These molecules then react with oxygen in the air, producing heat, light, and various byproducts such as carbon dioxide and water vapor.

3. What are the different types of combustion?

The three main types of combustion are complete, incomplete, and spontaneous. Complete combustion occurs when there is enough oxygen present to fully burn the fuel, while incomplete combustion occurs when there is not enough oxygen, resulting in the production of carbon monoxide. Spontaneous combustion is a chemical reaction that occurs without the need for an external heat source.

4. What are some common applications of combustion?

Combustion is used in a variety of industries, including transportation (through internal combustion engines), electricity generation (through power plants), and heating and cooking (through stoves and ovens). It is also used in the production of various materials such as plastics and metals.

5. How can I learn more about combustion?

There are many resources available for learning about combustion, including textbooks, online courses, and scientific journals. Some reputable sources include the American Chemical Society, the National Fire Protection Association, and the Society of Automotive Engineers. Additionally, conducting experiments and hands-on activities can also be a great way to gain a deeper understanding of combustion.