Commuting via car or BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit)?

In summary, Russ will be commuting 2 hours one way to attend SFSU in the spring for his masters, but he will most likely reside in concord for a very cheap living arrangement. He was told the whole commute including bart and the shuttle is roughly 2 hours one way...that's a bit intense no? Would driving be any better??
Lawrencel2
I will be attending SFSU in the spring for my masters, but i will most likely reside in concord for a very cheap living arrangement.
I was told the whole commute including bart and the shuttle is roughly 2 hours one way...
Thats a bit intense no?
Would driving be any better??

Physics news on Phys.org
Making this decision requires comparing two pieces of information to each other (in the simplest analysis) and you only gave us one of them. So there isn't much we can do to help.

Lawrencel2 said:
I will be attending SFSU in the spring for my masters, but i will most likely reside in concord for a very cheap living arrangement.
I was told the whole commute including bart and the shuttle is roughly 2 hours one way...
Thats a bit intense no?
Would driving be any better??

Russ is right -- do you have friends in Concord who have ever tried to commute into SF on weekday mornings?

If you commute on a motorcycle, you can do much better than 2 hours from Concord into the City (you still have to cross the Bay Bridge, which is usually pretty backed up). If you commute in a cage, er, I mean a car, it will be a pretty ugly commute. At least on BART and on buses, you can get some work done during the commute.

How many days a week do you plan on commuting? That commute sounds absolutely terrible...

You also have to consider all of the expenses of driving: vehicle, fuel, maintenance, registration, driver's licence, insurance, parking fees, and others that might arise on a less regular basis such as tickets and collision repair. Is a bus or LRT cheaper?

Like berkeman said, at least on a train/bus you can read, so it's not totally wasted time. If you're behind the wheel, then it's completely wasted time.

Btw, are you sure it's 2 hours? I used to live there and although I didn't go into the city often, I don't remember it being that long.

Well, it shows about an hour on the BART planner, but i would also need to take the shuttle to the campus. I suppose they overestimated when they told me 2 hours.. I guess about an hour and a half should be ample time.
I'm used to a 30 minute commute so I really don't know what I'm in for.
Reading/studying is a great suggestion though..!

How long would it take to drive to school considering the traffic (huge factor)? Also, as others already said, it's probably much cheaper to use public transportation and you can utilize the time. According to Google Maps, you could get to SFSU from the Concord BART station in ~1hr10m.

lisab said:
Like berkeman said, at least on a train/bus you can read, so it's not totally wasted time. If you're behind the wheel, then it's completely wasted time.

Btw, are you sure it's 2 hours? I used to live there and although I didn't go into the city often, I don't remember it being that long.
For 3 or 4 years, my son did the park and ride 90% +, during the morning and evening ride he used the time for paper work, planning and learned to speak Spanish very well listening to Cd's.

What BART station is nearest SFSU? I thought the campus was sort of in a more remote area. I knew people who lived in concord but they lived at berkeley during the semester because of inconvenience of travel.

Keep in mind there is a $5 toll to cross bay bridge towards SFO.

cyanical said:
How long would it take to drive to school considering the traffic (huge factor)? Also, as others already said, it's probably much cheaper to use public transportation and you can utilize the time. According to Google Maps, you could get to SFSU from the Concord BART station in ~1hr10m.

Right now (noon where I am, but 9 a.m. California time), Google Maps tells me the driving time is 1hr28m, with slow going through Lafayette, Orinda, Oakland and across the Bay Bridge; and 1hr31m via BART and bus. If it were me, I'd rather ride than drive, and get some reading or work done en route, or even take a nap. Even better would be to live closer somehow, so as not to have to take 3+ hours out of every day just going back and forth to school.

1. How does the cost of commuting via car compare to taking BART?

The cost of commuting via car depends on several factors such as the distance traveled, gas prices, and tolls. BART fares vary depending on the distance traveled, with the average one-way fare being around $4. However, when factoring in the cost of gas, parking, and wear and tear on a car, BART can often be a more cost-effective option for daily commuting.

2. Is it faster to commute via car or BART?

It depends on the time of day and the specific route. During peak rush hour, BART can often be faster due to avoiding traffic congestion. However, during off-peak hours or on weekends, driving may be faster. It's important to plan your commute ahead of time and consider factors such as traffic, train schedules, and potential delays.

3. Which option is more environmentally friendly?

BART is generally considered to be a more environmentally friendly option compared to driving alone. BART trains are powered by electricity, which produces fewer emissions than gasoline-powered cars. Additionally, taking public transportation can help reduce traffic congestion and improve air quality in heavily populated areas.

4. Are there any safety concerns with commuting via car or BART?

Both options have their own safety considerations. When driving, it's important to follow traffic laws and be aware of potential hazards on the road. BART also has safety measures in place, such as surveillance cameras and emergency call boxes, to ensure the safety of passengers. It's always a good idea to stay aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious activity to BART personnel.

5. Can I use BART to commute to other parts of the Bay Area?

Yes, BART has a network of routes that connect to various cities and neighborhoods in the Bay Area. The BART system also connects to other transportation options such as buses, shuttles, and ferries, making it easier to commute to different areas without a car. You can use the BART trip planner or schedule to plan your route and find the nearest station to your desired destination.