Comp. Science to Comp. Engineering

In summary, it is common to pursue a career in computer engineering if you have a bachelors in computer science. This includes taking on more theoretical math courses and a more hardware-focused degree.
NATURE.M
So, I've been doing a lot of thinking and was just wondering is the transition from computer science to computer engineering common ? Namely, if one obtains a bachelors in comp. science, is it common to pursue graduate studies in comp. engineering.

Computer science coursework would include your typical courses but in addition courses on microprocessors systems, networking and computer hardware.
And if it means anything I may also obtain a second major in physics (taking sequence of practical physics courses, an electronics lab course, and time series analysis course).

Now I know many of you will probably say get a bachelors in computer/electrical engineering. I've looked into this option, but engineering programs seem to be so strict (namely I'd have to start from first year and in fall 2015).

So with all this said is this transition fairly common ?

Note: I'm attending a Canadian university.

Physics news on Phys.org
I actually just made said transition. Computer Engineering is a double major in CS and EE. So you will take on quite a few excess math courses. CS (in the US) requires you to go up to calculus 2, while EE (in the US) at most places will make you take up to Multivariable calculus. So essentially, you will take on more theoretical courses and will go from a mostly programming/little hardware degree to a heavily hardware and theoretical math with a smidge of programming degree.

I guess I'll be a bit more specific in the courses I'll be taking.

Namely, for physics I'll be taking:

Mechanics--> (intermediate level: covers classical mechanical systems such as harmonic oscillators, rotating bodies, and central field systems)

E&M --> on the level Griffith's.

Optics --> Fundamentals of optics. includes intro to lasers, optical fibres, and photons. Includes laboratory courses working with optical instruments.

Practical Physics I, Practical Physics II --> some typical projects required in these courses may include building a thermocouple, dc motor etc. I'll focus more on the e & m based experiments in these courses.

Electronics Laboratory course -->Fundamentals of circuits ranging from digital devices to op-amps to transistors to noise to diodes.

Math courses covered: Multivariable Calculus, ode, probability

Comp. Science courses:
General: software design (java, android), systems and software tools (C, linux), computational theory, data structures and algorithms, complexity theory, operating systems, networking

Hardware related: computer organization (labs involve fpgas), microprocessor systems, microprocessor software (focuses on embedded programming--> microcontrollers)

Other: AI, computer vision, Machine learning and neural networks, intelligent image processing

So what do you guys think? This is just coursework though, separate from any learning I do on the side.

1. What is the difference between computer science and computer engineering?

Computer science is a field that focuses on the theoretical and mathematical foundations of computing, while computer engineering is a field that combines principles from both computer science and electrical engineering to design and develop computer systems. In simple terms, computer science is more focused on software and algorithms, while computer engineering is more focused on hardware and the integration of software and hardware.

2. What career options are available for someone with a degree in computer science or computer engineering?

Both computer science and computer engineering offer a wide range of career options in fields such as software development, web development, artificial intelligence, data science, cybersecurity, and more. Graduates can also work in various industries such as technology, healthcare, finance, and government.

3. Is a degree in computer science or computer engineering necessary for a career in the tech industry?

While a degree in computer science or computer engineering can be beneficial, it is not always necessary for a career in the tech industry. Many successful professionals in the tech industry have learned the necessary skills through self-study, coding bootcamps, or on-the-job training. However, a degree may provide a more comprehensive understanding of the field and can open up more job opportunities.

4. What skills are important for a career in computer science or computer engineering?

Some important skills for a career in computer science or computer engineering include strong problem-solving abilities, proficiency in programming languages, analytical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team. Additionally, having a passion for technology and staying updated with the latest advancements in the field is essential.

5. Can someone with a degree in computer science switch to a career in computer engineering or vice versa?

While there may be some overlap between the two fields, switching from computer science to computer engineering (or vice versa) may require additional education or training. However, many skills and concepts from one field can be applied to the other, and having a background in one can make it easier to learn the other. It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and goals.