Compare and contrast Bohr and Feynman?

In summary, Bohr and Feynman had different backgrounds and personalities, with Bohr being older, Danish, and from an upper-class family while Feynman was younger, from a middle-class immigrant family, and known for his humor and dislike of formality. Their differences likely had more to do with their personalities and upbringing rather than physics. Additionally, there was not much opportunity for direct interaction between the two as they often worked with John Archibald Wheeler as an intermediary.
Christina Lin
While doing research on Feynman and Bohr, I came across how Bohr never warmed up to Feynman even though he frequently sought him out for discussions in Los Alamos - which lead me to this question. Reasons were given for why he may not have, but that still leaves me wondering if there was anything more to it. Perhaps there was something fundamentally different about who they were? Bohr did get onto Feynman during the (I think) Shelter Island Conference for making jokes and explaining the topic in simpler terms for those in the audience (there were HS science teachers and historians) that weren't as technically inclined, so maybe he was more serious overall?

How were they really different? They seem to have similar principles across the board to me, but I just get a different feeling from each.

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing I would consider is that Bohr was over 30 years older.

I am speculating here, but I think whatever differences between Bohr and Feynman that existed between them has more to do with their fundamental personalities as well as their cultural backgrounds and upbringing, rather than any differences the two may have had with respect to physics. Bohr was Danish from an upper-class family while Feynman came from a middle-class Lithuanian Jewish immigrant family in the US.

Furthermore, Feynman was also always known for hating formality and having a keen sense of humour -- perhaps his humour may have rubbed Bohr the wrong way or perhaps he didn't understand it?

John Archibald Wheeler was "placed" between Bohr and Feynman, working with both, so there hardly was much opportunity for "direct Bohr-Feynman interaction".

Last edited:

1. What are the main differences between Bohr and Feynman's atomic models?

Bohr's atomic model, also known as the planetary model, proposed that electrons orbit the nucleus in fixed circular paths. In contrast, Feynman's atomic model, also known as the quantum mechanical model, described electrons as existing in a probability cloud around the nucleus.

2. How did Bohr and Feynman contribute to the development of atomic theory?

Bohr's model helped explain the stability of atoms and the spectrum of light emitted by atoms. Feynman's model incorporated the principles of quantum mechanics and helped explain the behavior of subatomic particles.

3. Which model is considered more accurate, Bohr's or Feynman's?

Feynman's model is generally considered more accurate because it takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, which Bohr's model does not.

4. Did Bohr and Feynman have any similarities in their atomic models?

Both Bohr and Feynman's models included the concept of energy levels, with electrons moving between different energy levels as they orbit the nucleus.

5. How did the scientific community react to Bohr and Feynman's atomic models?

Bohr's model was initially met with skepticism but gained acceptance after further experimentation and evidence. Feynman's model was met with more immediate acceptance and is now widely used in modern atomic theory.