Compare average distance between molecules to size of N2

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the volume of a single molecule using the ideal gas law and the subsequent comparison of this volume to the size of a molecule. The conversation also mentions the use of the Van der Waals radius and the confusion surrounding its comparison to the calculated volume.
wololo

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

Pv=nRt

The Attempt at a Solution

I already calculated V for a single molecule = 3.99x10^-23 m^3 and the cubic root of this volume gives 3.42x10^-8 m. However, I don't understand what I should do next. What does it mean to compare the value I obtained to the "size" of a molecule? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start googling for "water molecule size". They want you to compare the volume calculated with experimental data describing the distance between atoms (plus some space for the electron cloud).

I looked up Van der Wall radius online (did not learn about it in class) and found how to measure the radius, diameter and volume of a specific molecule given it's experimentally measured constant b, but what puzzles me is that they ask me to compare the "size" (I assume van der wall volume?) of the molecule, a cubic meter value, with an unrelated one dimensional distance value. I feel as though they did not specify accurately enough what we need to do.

VdW radius is not a volume, it is length, just like the length you calculated. You are asked to compare the "radius" of a molecule (as determined experimentally) with the edge of a cube that such a molecule occupies in a gas. I see no ambiguity.

1. How do you calculate the average distance between molecules?

The average distance between molecules can be calculated by taking the total volume of the gas and dividing it by the number of molecules present.

2. Is the average distance between molecules the same for all gases?

No, the average distance between molecules can vary depending on the type of gas. Factors such as molecular weight, temperature, and pressure can affect the average distance between molecules.

3. How does the size of N2 molecules compare to the average distance between them?

The size of N2 molecules is much smaller than the average distance between them. N2 molecules have a diameter of approximately 0.364 nanometers, while the average distance between molecules is in the range of several nanometers.

4. How does the average distance between molecules affect the physical properties of a gas?

The average distance between molecules can affect the physical properties of a gas, such as its density and compressibility. When the average distance between molecules is smaller, the gas is more dense and less compressible.

5. Can the average distance between molecules be changed?

Yes, the average distance between molecules can be changed by altering the temperature and pressure of the gas. Increasing the temperature or decreasing the pressure will result in a larger average distance between molecules, while decreasing the temperature or increasing the pressure will result in a smaller average distance.