Compare Home Editions of Maple, MATLAB & Mathematica: Questions & Experiences

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter Sword7
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed various software options for hobby use and self-study, such as Maple, MATLAB, and Mathematica. The main question asked was if anyone had experience with these programs offering step-by-step solutions for algebra and calculus formulas. It was mentioned that Symbolab and WolframAlpha are websites that can provide this service, and that MapleSim does not offer a personal edition. It was also noted that MATLAB's home version is the same as the professional version, just with a different license and cost. Ultimately, the speaker decided to purchase Maple for document use and MATLAB with SimuLink add-ons for programming and data results.
Sword7
I checked Maple, MATLAB and Mathematica websites and found personal/home editions for hobby use like 3D printer, robotics, etc.. and self-study. I now have a few questions for you. Does anyone have any good experiences with them?

Which software support step-by-step solution display like solving or simplifying algebra or calculus formulas each step? That would help refreshing.

I was looking for MapleSim personal edition but Maplesoft website did not mention but just student or professional versions. Does MapleSoft offer MapleSim personal/home edition that MathWorks does?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've just taken a class on MatLab, but that's a programming language, not something you can just type in a formula and get a step-by-step answer for. There should be oodles of websites that can do that though. Symbolab is one such website that I use regularly. WolframAlpha can also do this, but you need to purchase a subscription I believe.

The home version of MATLAB is the same software as the full professional version, so if you're familiar with MATLAB, it's the same. It's not a crippled, dumbed down, or limited capability version. The only thing different is the license and the cost.

Ok, thanks for some replies. I contacted MapleSoft and they offer Maple personal edition for $239 but does not offer MapleSim personal edition. I checked YouTube and learned that Maple is for word processor with math toolkit, etc. I will buy it for hobbyist use for documents soon.

I will go with MATLAB w/SimuLink add-ons for programming, data results, etc. I will buy it too.

Maple and Mathematica (WolframAlpha) offer step-by-step solutions for documents use.

1. What are the main differences between the home editions of Maple, MATLAB, and Mathematica?

The main differences between the home editions of these software packages are the features and capabilities offered. Maple is primarily a symbolic mathematics software, while MATLAB and Mathematica are both general purpose computational software. Additionally, Maple has a strong focus on education and teaching, while MATLAB and Mathematica are commonly used in research and industry.

2. Can you give an example of a task that can be performed with all three software packages?

All three software packages can be used for solving mathematical and scientific equations and problems. For example, you can use them to solve differential equations, perform statistical analysis, or create visualizations of data.

3. How do the prices of the home editions of Maple, MATLAB, and Mathematica compare?

The prices of these software packages vary, with Maple being the most affordable of the three. However, it is important to note that pricing also depends on the type of license and any additional features or add-ons that may be included.

4. What are some common user experiences with the home editions of these software packages?

Users often praise the user-friendly interfaces and comprehensive documentation provided by all three software packages. Some users also mention that Maple is particularly useful for teaching and learning, while MATLAB and Mathematica are better suited for advanced research and data analysis.

5. Can you upgrade from the home edition to a professional edition of these software packages?

Yes, all three software packages offer upgrade options from the home edition to a professional edition. However, the features and capabilities may differ between the two versions, so it is important to carefully consider your needs before upgrading.