Compare Mathcad & Mathematica - Find Solutions for Diff Eqns

In summary, the conversation is about whether to use Mathcad or Mathematica for solving differential equations and systems of equations. The general consensus is that Mathematica is a top-notch tool and is highly programmable, making it a good choice for solving these types of problems. It is also mentioned that Mathematica can find general solutions for ODEs and PDEs, but it is not clear if it can do the same for systems of equations. It is also noted that most systems of equations are unsolvable analytically, so a smart software like Mathematica is needed to find numerical solutions.
TheDestroyer
Mathcad or Mathematica?

Hi guys, I already have MathCad 2003 Installed in my computer, should I get Mathematica? What's the difference?

Can Mathematica find general solution of a differential equations? Mathcad can find only particular ones,

Can Mathematica solve a system of linear or differential equations or partial differential equations?

Thanks, and please be specific in the answer about the difference, and if it does it need any programming, I know C++, can I work in it if it needs?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're looking for a general top notch tool Mathematica (or Maple) is your choice, IMHO. With respect to differential eqs and Mathematica you can get a decent view here :

http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/Built-inFunctions/AdvancedDocumentation/DifferentialEquations/NDSolve/index.html

Mathematica is really programmable :

http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/Built-inFunctions/Programming/

I do quite a bit of my programming stuff with it nowadays, eases and makes development quite a bit faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that Mathematica does find general solutions of ODEs, but I'm not sure about systems of ODEs and PDEs. It is very programmable, though.

Matlab
:biggrin:

gnome said:
Matlab
:biggrin:

:biggrin: :biggrin: Both !

Manchot said:
I know that Mathematica does find general solutions of ODEs, but I'm not sure about systems of ODEs and PDEs. It is very programmable, though.

It does work with systems, as far as I know with the same limitations it works with ODEs and PDEs.

Definitely numerical.I mean,most of the systems are unsolvable analytically,therefore numerical sollutions can be found.A smart software is all u need...

Daniel.

Thanks everybody for the information...

What is Mathcad and Mathematica?

Mathcad and Mathematica are both computer software programs used for mathematical and scientific calculations. They both have advanced features for solving differential equations, making them popular choices among scientists and engineers.

What are the key differences between Mathcad and Mathematica?

The main difference between Mathcad and Mathematica is their programming languages. Mathcad uses a visual programming language that is similar to traditional math notation, while Mathematica uses a functional programming language. Additionally, Mathematica has more advanced features for symbolic and numerical calculations, while Mathcad excels in visualization and documentation capabilities.

Which program is better for solving differential equations?

Both Mathcad and Mathematica are powerful tools for solving differential equations. Mathematica has a wider range of built-in functions and algorithms for solving complex equations, while Mathcad's visual programming language makes it easier to input and manipulate equations. Ultimately, the best program for solving differential equations will depend on the specific needs and preferences of the user.

Can Mathcad and Mathematica be used together?

Yes, Mathcad and Mathematica can be used together as complementary tools. Users can export equations from one program to the other for further analysis and manipulation. Additionally, Mathcad and Mathematica have different strengths and weaknesses, so using both programs can provide a more comprehensive approach to solving mathematical problems.

Are there any alternatives to Mathcad and Mathematica for solving differential equations?

Yes, there are several other software programs that can be used for solving differential equations, such as MATLAB, Maple, and SageMath. Each program has its own unique features and capabilities, so it is important to research and compare them to determine which one best suits your needs.