Comparing Chromatic Aberration Quantitatively?

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aberration
In summary, the conversation discussed two similar lens systems used for basic astronomy and the possibility of comparing their chromatic aberrations through an experimental setup. The setup would involve using two different colored lasers to measure refraction angles and taking into account details such as image and object distance, field height, and f/#. The conversation also mentioned the two types of chromatic aberration (transverse and longitudinal) and the use of standard spectral lines or a compact fluorescent source for measurement. The simplest measurement suggested was a "star test" where the image of a point source is compared at different colors, with potential displacements on the order of microns.
mishima
Hi, I have 2 similar lens systems used for basic astronomy (as refracting telescopes). The first is a telephoto lens designed for a camera and the second is the main objective of an old pair of binocs paired with an eyepiece in a tube. I am suspecting the former exhibits more chromatic aberration just based on some observations of the moon and bright stars.

I was wondering if there is an experimental setup I could perform, even crudely, on my workbench tabletop that would allow me to compare the chromatic aberrations of both systems quantitatively.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have two different colored lasers, you can measure their refraction angles.

mishima said:
I was wondering if there is an experimental setup I could perform, even crudely, on my workbench tabletop that would allow me to compare the chromatic aberrations of both systems quantitatively.

As with any optical test, the details matter: image and object distance, field height, f/#... There are two 'flavors' of chromatic aberration- transverse (or lateral) and longitudinal, and these are independent.

Start with the standard spectral lines: 656.3, 587.6, and 486.1 nm. If you don't have access to a 'clean' spectral source, you can probably use a compact fluorescent source. Use of a broadband source (sunlight) will make the measurement more difficult.

The simplest measurement is a 'star test': image a point source and compare the locations of the image at different colors: transverse chromatic will shift the image from side to side, while longitudinal will shift the focal plane along the optical axis. Note that typical chromatic aberrations in a reasonably corrected lens will give displacements on the order of microns. Imaging the 'star' at different field heights and stop sizes will characterize the system.

1. What is chromatic aberration?

Chromatic aberration is an optical phenomenon that occurs when a lens or other optical system fails to focus all colors of light at the same point, resulting in a blurred or distorted image.

2. How is chromatic aberration quantified?

Chromatic aberration can be quantified by measuring the amount of color separation or distortion in an image. This is typically done by comparing the position of the image formed by different wavelengths of light.

3. What are the units of measurement for chromatic aberration?

The units of measurement for chromatic aberration can vary depending on the method used for quantification. It can be measured in micrometers, pixels, or as a percentage of the image size.

4. How does chromatic aberration affect image quality?

Chromatic aberration can significantly reduce image quality by causing color fringing, blurring, and distortion. It can also reduce the sharpness and contrast of an image.

5. How can chromatic aberration be corrected?

Chromatic aberration can be corrected through various methods such as using specialized lenses, optical coatings, or digital post-processing techniques. These methods aim to compensate for the different paths that different wavelengths of light take through a lens, thereby reducing color separation and improving image quality.