Comparing gaussian distributions with Gumbel-like distribution

In summary, the discussion revolved around analyzing the binding events of analytes in a platform with 10,000 sensors. The control experiment showed a narrow Gaussian distribution due to electric noise, while the experiment with analytes showed a Gumbel distribution. The conversation then moved towards finding a way to quantitatively compare the two distributions, and suggestions were made to use tests such as the Shapiro-Wilk test, one-sample Kolmogorov-Smirnov test, two-sample K-S test, and Wilcoxon's rank-sum test. It was also noted that normality cannot be assumed for at least one of the samples.
TryingTo
Hi all,

I study binding of analytes in a platform where I have 10.000 sensors. Theres is one binding event per sensor and I identify it as a sudden positive change in the signal. I do first a control experiment without analytes. I measure the maximum change in the signal for each sensor and I obtain a narrow gaussian distribution around cero due to electric noise (green curve). When I measure the analytes I obtain a kind of Gumbel distribution because some sensors detect a positive binding event (larger than the electronic noise, red curve). When I compare the histograms is clear that there is a difference before and after but I would like to do a quantitative analysis of how different the distributions are. Do you have any clue on how to do this? Which test I could apply? One of the distributions is normal but the other is not so I'm not sure.

Thank you!
Untitled-1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
TryingTo said:
Hi all,

I study binding of analytes in a platform where I have 10.000 sensors. Theres is one binding event per sensor and I identify it as a sudden positive change in the signal. I do first a control experiment without analytes. I measure the maximum change in the signal for each sensor and I obtain a narrow gaussian distribution around cero due to electric noise (green curve). When I measure the analytes I obtain a kind of Gumbel distribution because some sensors detect a positive binding event (larger than the electronic noise, red curve). When I compare the histograms is clear that there is a difference before and after but I would like to do a quantitative analysis of how different the distributions are. Do you have any clue on how to do this? Which test I could apply? One of the distributions is normal but the other is not so I'm not sure.Thank you!

Hey!

First of all, I'm curious as to what led you to think that the measurements of the analytes experiment follow a kind of Gumbel distribution. Were you given prior information stating that a Gumbel distribution was to be expected or did you just assume it followed that distribution by looking at its shape? Also, how confident are you that the data of the control experiment follow a normal distribution? I would definitely start by testing that. You can use the Shapiro-Wilk test for normality or you can compare the data of the control experiment with a normal distribution using the one-sample Kolmogorov-Smirnov test. You can also use the two-sample K-S test to compare both samples and see if they're significantly different. Finally, if you want to compare the means of both experiments and see if there's a significative difference, you can use a nonparametric test like Wilcoxon's rank-sum test, since I believe normality can't be assumed for at least one of both samples.

I hope this helps!

1. What is a Gaussian distribution?

A Gaussian distribution, also known as a normal distribution, is a probability distribution that is characterized by a bell-shaped curve. It is commonly used to model real-world phenomena such as measurements of natural phenomena like height, weight, and IQ.

2. What is a Gumbel-like distribution?

A Gumbel-like distribution is a probability distribution that is similar to the Gumbel distribution, which is commonly used to model extreme values. It is characterized by a long tail on one side and a shorter tail on the other side of the distribution curve.

3. How do you compare a Gaussian distribution with a Gumbel-like distribution?

To compare a Gaussian distribution with a Gumbel-like distribution, you can look at various statistical measures such as mean, standard deviation, and skewness. You can also compare the shape of the distribution curves and how they fit the data.

4. What are the main differences between a Gaussian distribution and a Gumbel-like distribution?

The main differences between a Gaussian distribution and a Gumbel-like distribution are their shapes and the types of data they are commonly used to model. A Gaussian distribution is symmetrical and is used for normally distributed data, while a Gumbel-like distribution is asymmetrical and is used for extreme value data.

5. When would you use a Gumbel-like distribution instead of a Gaussian distribution?

A Gumbel-like distribution is typically used when dealing with extreme values, such as in natural disasters or stock market crashes. It is also commonly used in engineering and environmental sciences to model rare events. In these cases, a Gumbel-like distribution may provide a better fit for the data compared to a Gaussian distribution.