Comparing Illuminance and Solar Radiation in Dragonfly Habitat

In summary, the conversation is about a GIS modeling project that aims to predict dragonfly habitat. The speaker has collected field data using a lux meter and wants to incorporate other spatial data derived from a digital elevation model, which measures solar radiation in kJ/m^2. They ask if there is a way to convert lux values into kJ/m^2 and mention that both measurements represent sunlight/energy, which is important for the dragonfly habitat. The other person responds that there is no direct conversion and assumptions need to be made about the wavelength range and source. They explain the difference between lux and lumens, and how sunlight's efficiency is about 90lm/watt. They also clarify that the speaker's model is in kJ/m
Darcy
Hello,

I'm working on a GIS modeling project where I'm trying to predict dragonfly habitat. I have collected my field data using a hand-held meter that measures illuminance in lux. I am wanting to incorporate some other spatial data I derived using a digital elevation model which shows solar radiation in kJ/m^2.

Is there a way to convert the lux values into kJ/m^2? It's not really necessary for my analysis, but yet would be useful in comparison.

I'm thinking that the two measurements, even if not able to convert can be discussed in the same regard as both are measure of sunlight/energy which is a factor in the dragonfly habitat.

Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Darcy

Physics news on Phys.org
Not directly, you have to make assumptions about the wavelength range and source.
Lux is lumens/m^2, Lumen is the power on the surface but adjusted for the response of the eye.
Sunlight is about 90lumens/watt

ok, Thank you.

I don't think I explained that very well.
Lux is the unit of ilumination = power / area
So 1 lux is 1 lumen / m^2, and daylight is about 30,000-100,000 lux or 30-100 Kl/m^2

Lumens are normally used with artificual light sources to compare how much light you get out for a certain power in - that's because you can't compare the light output of a 1Watt LED and a 60W light bulb form their power.

Sunlight's efficency is about 90lm/watt so 90,000 lux is 90,000 lm/m^2 = 1000W/m^2
You said your model was in KJ/m^2, presumably this is per second (Joules are a measure of energy not power) so KJ/m^2/s = kW/m^2

Ok, that is perfectly clear...thank you again!

1. What is illuminance and how is it measured?

Illuminance is the measure of the amount of light that hits a surface. It is typically measured in lux, which is a unit that represents the amount of light that falls on one square meter of surface area.

2. How is solar radiation different from illuminance?

Solar radiation is the measure of the amount of energy that is transmitted from the sun to the earth's surface. It is typically measured in watts per square meter. While illuminance measures the amount of light that hits a surface, solar radiation measures the amount of energy that hits a surface.

3. What is the relationship between illuminance and solar radiation in a dragonfly habitat?

In a dragonfly habitat, illuminance and solar radiation are both important factors that affect the growth and behavior of dragonflies. Higher levels of illuminance can provide more light for dragonflies to hunt and navigate, while higher levels of solar radiation can increase the temperature of the habitat, which can affect the growth and reproduction of dragonflies.

4. How can illuminance and solar radiation be compared in a dragonfly habitat?

Illuminance and solar radiation can be compared by measuring their levels in the same units, such as lux or watts per square meter. This can be done using specialized equipment, such as a light meter or a solar radiation sensor, placed in different areas of the dragonfly habitat.

5. What are some potential implications of changes in illuminance or solar radiation levels in a dragonfly habitat?

Changes in illuminance or solar radiation levels in a dragonfly habitat can have significant impacts on the dragonfly population. For example, a decrease in illuminance may result in reduced hunting and navigation abilities for dragonflies, while an increase in solar radiation may lead to changes in the growth and reproduction cycles of dragonflies. These changes can have cascading effects on the entire ecosystem, as dragonflies play important roles in controlling insect populations and serving as prey for other animals.