Comparing image sizes of the hotter stars with the cooler stars

In summary, during a stellar spectra classification, a hot star will typically have a B-V color index close to 0 or negative, while a cool star will have a B-V color index close to 2.0. The flux of energy passing through the filter can determine the magnitude (brightness) at the wavelength of the filter. Therefore, the size of a star in an image can vary depending on its color index and flux of energy. However, the context of the question is unclear and more information is needed to accurately determine the size of stars in images.
James Beedy

Homework Statement

When comparing image sizes of the hotter stars with the cooler stars, do hotter stars consistently appear larger in one image and cooler stars consistently appear smaller in the other image? Why or why not?

Homework Equations

Stellar Spectra Classification[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

: I understand during a stellar spectra classification, [/B]
A hot star has a B-V color index close to 0 or negative, while a cool star has a B-V color index close to 2.0. Other stars are somewhere in between. The flux of energy passing through the filter tells you the magnitude (brightness) at the wavelength of the filter. It would be my opinion that it would depend on the stars color index and flux of energy that if the stars hot or cold would continually stay the same size. However, I’m not sure if this is how it really is or if I’m missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
I need help with solving the above initial question or problem. Thanks!

What determines the size of an object in an image? How large are stars and how far away are they? Translate this into the angular size of stars, and from the angular size, calculate the size of a star in an image. This should answer your question.

It sounds to me as though the question is posed in some context that is missing from the thread. What images?

1. What is the significance of comparing image sizes of hotter stars and cooler stars?

The size of a star's image can provide valuable information about its temperature, luminosity, and age. By comparing the sizes of images of hotter and cooler stars, scientists can gain insight into the physical properties and evolutionary stages of these celestial objects.

2. How do scientists measure the image sizes of stars?

Scientists use telescopes and imaging techniques to capture images of stars. By analyzing these images, they can determine the angular size of the star, which is the apparent size of the star as seen from Earth. This can then be converted to the actual size of the star using its distance from Earth.

3. What is the relationship between a star's temperature and its size?

The size of a star is directly related to its temperature. Hotter stars tend to be larger, while cooler stars are smaller. This is because a star's temperature is determined by its mass and the amount of energy it produces through nuclear fusion. As a star's temperature increases, so does its size.

4. How does comparing image sizes of stars help in understanding their evolutionary stages?

The size of a star's image can provide clues about its stage of evolution. For example, younger stars tend to be larger and brighter than older stars. By comparing the sizes of stars at different ages, scientists can track the changes in a star's size over time and better understand its evolutionary path.

5. Are there any limitations to comparing image sizes of stars?

While comparing image sizes of stars can provide valuable information, it is not the only factor to consider. Other factors such as a star's mass, composition, and distance can also affect its size and must be taken into account. Additionally, the resolution of telescopes can also impact the accuracy of measuring a star's image size.