Comparing Path Integral Conventions in QED

In summary, the two conventions are different because one uses the Wick rotated Euclidean and the other uses the west-coast convention. The difference between using exp(iS) and exp(-S) in the path integral is that exp(-S) makes the path integral overtly convergent.
dman12
Hello. I am doing some reading on QED and am getting a bit confused on the different conventions used. In Matthew Schwartz's book we have the Lagrangian given as:

LQED = -¼ FμνFμν + iψ*γμ(∂μ + ieAμ)ψ - V(ψ*ψ)

And the path integral factor is exp(iS).

In another text, however, I see the QED lagrangian given as:

LQED = ¼ FμνFμν + ψ*γμ(∂μ + eAμ)ψ - V(ψ*ψ)

And the exponential factor in the path integral is exp(-S).

How can I see that these two conventions are physically the same? In particular, what is the difference between using exp(iS) and exp(-S) in the path integral?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
dman12 said:
In another text

This, unfortunately, does not tell us very much. My guess would be that a Wick rotation has already been applied to the second case.

Yes, the first convention hints at that the book uses the west-coast convention and Minkowski-space path intgrals (that's indeed true for Schwartz's marvelous text which I tend to recommend as a first textbook on QFT instead of Ryder or Peskin/Schroeder). The other convention hints at that the author is writing down Euclidean path integrals with the positive definite metric.

dman12 said:
How can I see that these two conventions are physically the same? In particular, what is the difference between using exp(iS) and exp(-S) in the path integral?

Thanks!

Your main question is easy --they have gone from the Lorentzian to the Euclidean (aka "Wick rotated") via a transformation of the kind:

[itex] t \to i \tau \, ,[/itex]

which is allowed under many physical circumstances, so long as the contour integration and analytic continuation is appropriately taken into account. In the case of the path integral, it is almost exclusively done to make the path integral overtly convergent. (The minus sign in the spacetime metric makes Gaussian and similar approximations sketchy, but if you can convince yourself you can Wick rotate, these problems become manifestly convergent.)

HOWEVER: These two groups are using other conventional differences, too, if I'm not mistaken, including having separate fermion conventions. Note that there are various conventions for:

[itex] \eta = (\pm 1, \mp 1, \mp 1, \mp 1)[/itex]
[itex] \varepsilon^{0123} = \pm 1[/itex]
[itex] \{ \gamma^{\mu} , \gamma^{\nu} \} = \pm 2 \eta^{\mu\nu} [/itex]
[itex] \bar{\psi} = \pm (\psi)^{\dagger} \gamma^0 [/itex]
[itex] G(x-y) = \int \frac{d^3 k}{(2\pi)^4} \frac{\pm e^{i k \cdot (x-y)}} {k^2 \mp m^2} [/itex]
[itex] (\psi_{\alpha} \chi_{\beta})^{\dagger} = \pm \chi_{\beta}\,^{\dagger} \psi_{\alpha}\,^{\dagger} [/itex]

and so forth. And they all lead to different i's, minus signs, ##2\pi##'s etc. They all have to be checked against unitarity (e.g. vacuum persistence amplitude in the presence of a source is simple enough for most of it), that it has a positive-definite, canonically normalized Hamiltonian, etc. It is best to pick a convention (I recommend Srednicki's for its completeness and modernity) and derive the action for yourself. It's generally not easy to compute things from someone else's incomplete list of conventions (which often happens in papers). If you absolutely need to check between sources, scour the paper for their conventions, email the author's if necessary, and go back to the basics to see how the differences in conventions propagates through the fundamental formulas.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the concept of "Path Integral Conventions" in science?

"Path Integral Conventions" is a mathematical framework used in physics and other fields to describe the behavior and interactions of particles and systems. It involves calculating the probability of a particle or system moving from one state to another by summing over all possible paths between the two states.

2. How does the path integral approach differ from other methods of calculating probabilities in science?

The path integral approach differs from other methods in that it takes into account all possible paths a particle or system could take, rather than just the most probable or most likely path. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior and interactions of particles and systems.

3. What are some practical applications of path integral conventions in science?

The path integral approach has been used in various fields of science, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, condensed matter physics, and quantum field theory. It has also been applied in economics, biology, and computer science.

4. What are the main advantages of using path integral conventions in scientific research?

One of the main advantages of using path integral conventions is that it provides a systematic and mathematically rigorous way of calculating probabilities and understanding the behavior of complex systems. It also allows for the incorporation of quantum effects into physical theories.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using path integral conventions in science?

One limitation of using path integral conventions is that the calculations can become very complex and difficult to solve analytically, requiring the use of numerical methods. Additionally, the path integral approach may not be applicable in certain scenarios, such as systems with strong interactions or non-linear dynamics.