Comparing structural bending strength

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine the outer diameter of a hollow rod with a thickness of 2mm in order to have the same structural bending strength as a solid rod with a diameter of 7mm. The weight per unit length of the two rods is also being compared. The equations for determining stress and bending rigidity are given, but there is uncertainty about how to find the bending moment and compare the weight per unit length. The suggested approach involves finding the area and moment for the solid rod, then using the formula for the hollow rod which involves subtracting the 2nd moment of area of the missing part.
nivek0078
Hello,

Not sure how to go about solving this problem:

What outer diameter must a 2mm thick hollow rod have in order to have the same structural bending strength as a solid rod with diameter of 7mm? Also compare the weight per unit length of the two rods. Assume that material is stainless steel (E=180MPa) having weight density of 7.78 x 10^4N/m^3.

Does the 2mm thick refer to the length of the hollow rod? Where does weight density play into the equation?

Given equations:
stress = Mc/I

Bending rigidity -> ymax= cFl^3/EI

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so this is what I have so far:

for the soild bar
find area
A=1/4(pie)(dia)^2 -> =38.48mm^2

find moment
I=Pie/64(D^4) -> = 117.85mm^4

Find stress
stress=My/I where M=bending moment, y=neutral axis, I=moment
-> =M(3.5)/117.85 -> stress=.0297(M)
for this equation I don't know how to find M

So to have the outer diameter of the hollow rod
find the area
A=pie((Do^2)-(Di^2)) where Do is outer dia and Di is inner dia

solution for outer diameter is Do=4.03mm

Is this the correct approach for that part of the problem??

Still having some issues with how to compare the weight per unit length of the two rods. I'm given E=108x10^3MPa, weight density= 7.78x10^4N/m^3 for both rods, calculated I=117.85 for solid bar. Using the equation Ymax= cFl^3/EI where c=constant, l=1.

So please advise on how to proceed here.

Also a fix to the above post.
using the I value from the solid and plugging that value into this equation for the hollow bar I=(pi/64)((Do^4)-(Di^4)) Do=7.0115mm^4 instead of the 4.03 value, is this correct?

You have that for a solid rod diameter D the 2nd moment of area is ##\frac{\pi D^4}{64}##. For a hollow rod, just treat it as the difference of two solid rods. I.e. subtract the 2d MoA of the missing part from what you would get if the rod were solid.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. To solve this problem, we need to use the equations provided and take into consideration the properties of the materials involved. The 2mm thickness refers to the thickness of the hollow rod, not the length. The weight density plays into the equation because it is used to calculate the weight of the rods, which will affect their structural bending strength.

To find the outer diameter of the hollow rod, we can use the equation for bending rigidity (ymax = cFl^3/EI) and set it equal to the solid rod's bending rigidity. We can then solve for the outer diameter of the hollow rod. The weight per unit length can be calculated by multiplying the weight density by the length of the rod.

Once we have the outer diameter and weight per unit length for both rods, we can compare them to determine which one is stronger and lighter. Keep in mind that the material properties, such as the modulus of elasticity (E) and weight density, will also play a role in the structural bending strength of the rods.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is structural bending strength?

Structural bending strength is a measure of the resistance of a material or structure to bending under an applied load. It is an important characteristic in the design and evaluation of structures, as it determines the ability of a material to withstand forces and maintain its shape without breaking or deforming.

2. How is structural bending strength measured?

Structural bending strength is typically measured using a three-point bending test, where a sample of the material is placed horizontally on two supports and a load is applied in the middle. The amount of force required to cause the material to bend or break is then recorded and used to calculate the bending strength.

3. What factors affect the structural bending strength of a material?

The structural bending strength of a material can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material's composition, structure, and dimensions. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and loading rate can also have an impact on the bending strength of a material.

4. How does structural bending strength differ from other types of strength?

Structural bending strength is different from other types of strength, such as tensile strength or compressive strength, as it measures the resistance to bending specifically. Tensile strength measures a material's resistance to being pulled apart, while compressive strength measures its resistance to being squeezed together.

5. Why is it important to compare structural bending strength?

Comparing structural bending strength allows scientists and engineers to select the most suitable materials for specific applications. By comparing the bending strength of different materials, they can determine which one will be able to withstand the expected forces and maintain its structural integrity, ensuring the safety and reliability of the structure.