Comparing the deceleration of a squirrel to a WW2 airmen

In summary, the problem provides information about the deceleration of an airman and asks to compare it to the deceleration of a squirrel. The squirrel's initial velocity, stopping distance, and deceleration are given, while the airman's velocity and stopping distance are also provided. The problem asks for the velocity of the squirrel before hitting the ground from a height of 3.0 meters. The poster attempted to use an equation, but got two incorrect answers and was unsure of how to find the deceleration.
HunterB

Homework Statement

Compare the deceleration of the squirrel to airmen. The squirrels velocity being 7.67 (m/s) ignore air resistance, stopping distance of 3.9 cm, deceleration of an airman being 486 (m/s^2), velocity being 54 (m/s) and stopping distance of 3.0 m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Confused in general I used some d formula's along with some velocity formula's, I got -0.01 and -0.02

Physics news on Phys.org
Google "terminal velocity" and get back to us with what you're not understanding.

I just don't get how you would find the deceleration and if you are given the deceleration of the airmen than why do they give you the extra numbers?

Is this really the whole question? Are you paraphrasing? Was there an earlier part that gave some context? Out of context it seems almost incoherent.

You have no relevant equations and I have no idea what you mean by -0.01 and -0.02

In any case, there is certainly enough information to calculate the deceleration of the squirrel, and the deceleration of the airman is given explicitly. Show us some equations you think might apply and show us what you tried and maybe we can help.

Also, I’m not sure what good looking up terminal velocity will do. For some reason you have the phrase “ignoring air resistance” so if that’s true this must not be about terminal velocity. If the title of the post is correct the problem gives all the information you need anyway.

Slightly OT but, IIRC, an air-gunner fell out of damaged bomber over Germany *without* time to attach parachute pack to harness.

He fell through the thick foliage of snow-covered pines into a deep snow-bank. Battered and bruised, but unbroken and very much alive.

Was nearly shot as spy before clued-in Luftwaffe officer realized what had happened and rescued him...

Ah-Ha !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Alkemade

Also links to other chute-less survivors...

Sorry, so that is the second part of the equation and I already got the answer for part one being 7.67 and the first part of the question was asking what is the velocity of the squirrel before hitting the ground from 3.0 m. To be honest I used the equation V^2 = Vnot + 2ad. the -0.01 and -0.02 were my answer's, but I knew they were wrong since that does not make any literal sense.

The problem seems fine to me.

You haven't quoted any relevant equations or assumptions. Are you familiar with the SUVAT or similar equations for constant acceleration/deceleration?

The problem statement gives you the initial velocity, final velocity and the stopping distance for the squirrel. Ths is enough to work out the deceleration.

HunterB said:
I just don't get how you would find the deceleration and if you are given the deceleration of the airmen than why do they give you the extra numbers?
You are complaining thy have done half the work for you :-)

Perhaps that is to help you identify or make assumptions that you can also apply to the squirrel.

HunterB said:
Sorry, so that is the second part of the equation and I already got the answer for part one being 7.67 and the first part of the question was asking what is the velocity of the squirrel before hitting the ground from 3.0 m. To be honest I used the equation V^2 = Vnot + 2ad. the -0.01 and -0.02 were my answer's, but I knew they were wrong since that does not make any literal sense.
How did you get two answers for the acceleration?

Perhaps show your working.

1. How can a squirrel's deceleration be compared to that of a WW2 airman?

The deceleration of a squirrel and a WW2 airman can be compared by measuring the change in velocity over time for both subjects. This can be done by using a high-speed camera to capture the movements of a squirrel and a WW2 airman during deceleration.

2. What factors affect the deceleration of a squirrel and a WW2 airman?

The factors that can affect the deceleration of a squirrel and a WW2 airman include their mass, velocity, and the amount of air resistance they encounter. The squirrel's small size and lightweight body allow it to decelerate quickly, while the WW2 airman's larger body and heavy equipment may lead to a slower deceleration.

3. Is the deceleration of a squirrel and a WW2 airman similar or different?

The deceleration of a squirrel and a WW2 airman can vary depending on the specific circumstances, but in general, they tend to show similar patterns. Both subjects experience a decrease in velocity over time as they come to a stop, but the rate of deceleration may differ due to the factors mentioned above.

4. How do the results of comparing a squirrel's deceleration to a WW2 airman's deceleration have real-world applications?

Studying the deceleration of a squirrel and a WW2 airman can provide valuable insights for engineers and designers. By understanding the factors that affect deceleration and the differences between two subjects, we can improve the safety and efficiency of equipment and vehicles, such as car brakes or parachutes.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with studying the deceleration of a squirrel and a WW2 airman?

Yes, there may be ethical concerns with studying the deceleration of living beings, including squirrels and WW2 airmen. It is important to ensure that all research is conducted ethically and with the well-being of the subjects in mind. In some cases, alternative methods, such as computer simulations, may be used to gather similar data without causing harm to living beings.