Comparing Weight Gain in Rats: An Analysis of Diets A & B

Yes, but it's better to use the degrees of freedom that you get from the F-test.And that's not 10, because you don't have 2 samples.Yes, I have two available tables, one for 10% critical values and one for 5% critical values. Using the 5% one, and 10 degrees of freedom, should my critical value be 3?The critical value is not in the table, it should be calculated.The degrees of freedom are not 10, but depend on the F-test.And the significance level alpha should be 5%, because that's the standard.If you have done the F-test you can look up the critical value from the F-table
Ah, now we're getting into the murky stuff that is open questions and discussions.

Let me counter that by asking: what are the pro's and con's of a CI versus a t-test?
What's the difference anyhow between a t-test and this confidence interval?

And I'll ask one more question: can you do a 1-sided test with a confidence interval?

Physics news on Phys.org
With a CI, we know that if the interval doesn't contain zero the means can't be the same. With a t-test we're relying on probabilities and approximations.

I would sat yes, because if you test Ha: u1>u2, and find a CI for u1-u2, and if this doesn't contain zero we're 95% certain Ha is true

Maybe_Memorie said:
With a CI, we know that if the interval doesn't contain zero the means can't be the same. With a t-test we're relying on probabilities and approximations.

Wow! Stop!
A CI does not give certainty!
Basically the CI is a t-test. It's just represented differently.
But the ultimate result (rejection or not) is the same.

Maybe_Memorie said:
I would sat yes, because if you test Ha: u1>u2, and find a CI for u1-u2, and if this doesn't contain zero we're 95% certain Ha is true

Hmm, suppose the CI is (-6, -1).
That does not contain 0.
Does that mean Ha is probably true?