Competition and funding for graduate school in Mathematics

In summary, the conversation discusses the intense competition in certain fields of physics in graduate school and the question of how this competition compares in different areas of mathematics. The individual asking the question is particularly interested in the funding and competition for places in algebraic geometry and mathematical string theory, but acknowledges that this may not be the most in-demand area. They also express concerns about their initial question being appropriate for the forum. The response advises them to be patient and avoid coming across as entitled in their future interactions, particularly in the competitive environment of graduate school.
poincare
In graduate school for physics, the competition in certain fields(for example High Energy Theory) is very intense. Does anyone know how the situation is in fields of mathematics. So, which areas of mathematics are the most difficult to get into for grad school ? I would be particularly interested to know how much funding there is for algebraic geometry or mathematical string theory and how difficult the competition for places could in these fields. Thank you

Last edited:
Likes DrSteve
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this question not appropriate here or should I word it differently ? Since I haven't gotten any responses I am thinking that the question is not suitable as it currently stands.

It's a perfectly reasonable question for this forum. Chances are no one with any specific experience in those subfields of mathematics has browsed it yet.

I strongly suspect that the situation in mathematical string theory is very closely correlated with physics string theory, and competition is likely to be tough because there are a lot of people who would like to work on it, but not a lot of demand for new results in the area - at least not in a relative sense.

poincare said:
Since I haven't gotten any responses I am thinking that the question is not suitable as it currently stands.

Translation: I gave you guys 19 hours! Where's my answer? Where's my lunch? Where's my dinner? Where's my hassenpfeffer!

Seriously, you might dial the patience up a notch (particularly over a holiday) and the entitlement down a notch. This will serve you well in grad school.

Likes micromass
Vanadium 50 said:
Translation: I gave you guys 19 hours! Where's my answer? Where's my lunch? Where's my dinner? Where's my hassenpfeffer!

Seriously, you might dial the patience up a notch (particularly over a holiday) and the entitlement down a notch. This will serve you well in grad school.

I apologize if I am across as looking like I was being entitled.I was trying to make sure whether this question was appropriate or whether or not my wording of the question was problematic. This is my first post here, so I was not entirely sure whether my question was on the appropriate forum or not. I know it can take time to get answers. Again, I apologize if I came across as impatient and entitled.

Last edited:

What are the main sources of funding for graduate school in Mathematics?

The main sources of funding for graduate school in Mathematics are typically fellowships, scholarships, teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and grants. These can come from the university, government agencies, or private organizations.

How competitive is the application process for graduate school in Mathematics?

The application process for graduate school in Mathematics is highly competitive, as there is a limited number of spots available and a large pool of qualified applicants. Admissions committees consider factors such as academic performance, letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statements when making decisions.

What can I do to increase my chances of getting accepted into a graduate program in Mathematics?

To increase your chances of getting accepted into a graduate program in Mathematics, you should focus on maintaining a strong academic record, gaining research experience, securing strong letters of recommendation, and writing a compelling personal statement. It is also beneficial to have a specific research interest or area of focus that aligns with the program you are applying to.

Are there any opportunities for funding specifically for underrepresented groups in Mathematics?

Yes, there are several funding opportunities specifically for underrepresented groups in Mathematics, such as the National Science Foundation's Graduate Research Fellowship Program and the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics' Student Travel Fund. Additionally, many universities have programs and initiatives aimed at increasing diversity in their graduate programs.

Can I receive funding for graduate school in Mathematics if I am an international student?

Yes, international students can receive funding for graduate school in Mathematics, although the availability of funding may vary depending on the university and country. It is important to research and inquire about funding opportunities at the specific universities you are applying to. You may also be eligible for external funding from organizations in your home country or through international scholarships and fellowships.