Compile & run in Windows 7 (home)

In summary, the person has a brain injury that resulted in a bad memory. They are looking for a free way to compile and run programs in Fortran 90 on a Windows 7 platform. A possible solution could be to use gFortran through the Cygwin platform, which allows for easy installation of libraries and tools.
donaldude
I have had a brain injury - resultant included a very/real bad memory.
So can anyone advise me how I might be able to get a free (am an invalid and NOT allowed to work), download of a way to compile & run programs in the Fortran 90 language on a Windows 7 platform. THANKS

Technology news on Phys.org
Cygwin is a viable option. Usually comes with gcc installed.

http://www.cygwin.com/

Click the setup.exe link and save it. Any time you want to install new libraries, compilers, or tools, open setup.exe and select one of the mirrors, search for what you want to install, select it, and install. Very simple.

What is the process for compiling and running a program in Windows 7?

To compile and run a program in Windows 7, you will need to have a programming language installed on your computer, such as C++, Java, or Python. Once you have your programming language of choice installed, you can write your code using a text editor or an integrated development environment (IDE). Then, you will need to use a compiler to convert your code into a format that can be executed by the computer. Finally, you can run your program by double-clicking on the executable file or by using the command line.

What is the difference between compiling and running a program?

Compiling is the process of converting source code into an executable file, while running a program refers to executing the compiled executable file. Compiling is necessary to create a file that the computer can understand and run, while running a program actually executes the instructions written in the source code.

Can I compile and run a program on Windows 7 without using an IDE?

Yes, you can compile and run a program on Windows 7 without using an IDE. As long as you have a programming language installed and a text editor, you can write your code and use a compiler to create an executable file. However, using an IDE can make the process easier and more efficient, as it typically provides features such as code completion, debugging, and project management.

How do I know if my program has compiled successfully?

If your program has compiled successfully, the compiler will typically display a message indicating that the process was successful. However, it is important to also check for any compilation errors, which can prevent your program from running correctly. These errors will be displayed in the compiler's output or error window, and you will need to fix them before attempting to run your program.

What should I do if my program fails to run after compiling?

If your program fails to run after compiling, it is likely that there is an error in your code. Check the compiler's output or error window for any error messages, and review your code to identify and fix the issue. It is also important to make sure that you are using the correct compiler for your programming language and that you have followed all necessary steps for compiling and running your program.