Complementary Angles: A Visual Explanation

• Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reflection and how it relates to the changing of coordinates. Specifically, it explains how reflecting a point over the line y=x or y=-x results in a change of coordinates and what that change looks like. This concept is illustrated through the use of mathematical equations and figures.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Useful identities
Many important properties of ##\cos t## and ##\sin t## are deduced from the fact they are the coordinates of the point ##P_t## in the circunference ##C##, with equation ##x^2+y^2=1##.
Identities of complementary angles
Two angles are complementary if they add up ##\pi/2## (or 90º). The points ##P_{(\pi/2)-t}## and ##P_t## are reflections (one of the other) about the line ##y=x## (Figura P.69), so the ##x## coordinate of one of them is the ##y## coordinate of the other, and vice versa. So
##\cos \left({\dfrac{\pi}´´ 2 -t\right)=\sin t## and ##\sin \left({\dfrac{\pi}2-t}\right)=\cos t##
Relevant Equations
Maybe Thales Theorem?
I thought I understood it until I found the statement mentioned. It's obvious having a look at Figura 3.53:

##\cos \alpha=\dfrac{OP_1}{OP}\Rightarrow{OP_1=\cos \alpha}##,

##\sin \alpha=\dfrac{OP_2}{OP}\Rightarrow{OP_2=OP\cos \left({\dfrac{\pi}{2}-\alpha}\right)=OP\sin \alpha}##

Figure 3.53.jpg
Figure 69.jpg

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question here?

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Processing...:smile:

Well, it's all solved. It was the first time I faced the concept: a reflection can be thought of as a folding or "flipping" an object over the line of reflection. When I reflect a point across the line ##y=x##, the ##x## coordinate and ##y## coordinate change places.
If I reflect over the line ##y=-x## the ##x## coordinate and ##y## coordinate change places and are negated (the signs are changed).
The reflection of the point ##(x,y)## across the line ##y=x## is the point ##(y,x)##.
The reflection of the point ##(x,y)## across the line ##y=-x## is the point ##(-y,-x)##

1. What are complementary angles?

Complementary angles are two angles that add up to 90 degrees. In other words, when placed next to each other, they form a right angle.

2. How can I identify complementary angles?

To identify complementary angles, you can look for two angles that add up to 90 degrees, or you can check if the angles are adjacent and form a right angle.

3. Can complementary angles be acute or obtuse?

Yes, complementary angles can be both acute and obtuse. As long as they add up to 90 degrees, they are considered complementary.

4. How are complementary angles related to each other?

Complementary angles are related in that they always add up to 90 degrees. This means that if one angle is known, the other can be easily calculated by subtracting the known angle from 90 degrees.

5. What are some real-life examples of complementary angles?

Some real-life examples of complementary angles include the hands on a clock at 3:00, the angles of a right triangle, and the angles formed by a ladder leaning against a wall.