Complete Analysis of Rotating 2-arm structure

In summary, the conversation discusses a dynamics problem involving two connected arms with external forces and friction. The person is unsure about their approach and asks for help with questions about torque, friction, and axis of rotation. They also share their attempted solution using Lagrangian methods.
nyknicks012
Hey Guys,

I have a dynamics problem I've been working on for a few days and I'm not quite sure that the results I've gotten are correct, or even if the way I'm approaching it is.

The problem consists of 2 arms connected to each other by a movable pivot. However, the whole structure cannot move translationally, and so the free end of the first arm is connected to an immovable pivot. Forces are applied at 90deg at a length lv from each arm (lv is slightly less than the total length of each arm), and friction exists at the pivot. I have attached a crude drawing of it to visualize it better. The first arm is labelled as the one connected to the immovable pivot, and all variables associated with it are denoted with a (1). The entire structure stays in the horizontal plane, and so the effects of gravity can, for the most part, be ignored.

I attempted to solve for the equations of motion using Lagrangian methods (can this even be done with applied external forces?) and I attached my attempt at a solution below. All the constants are self explanatory I'm sure, except for the coefficient of friction which is called mu.

I've taken away what I can from looking at derivations for the equations of motion for a double pendulum, but in all solutions heavy assumptions are made that make the analysis different. For example, it's assumed that the arms are massless, rigid rods with point masses at the ends, no variable forces are applied at the ends, the force of gravity is added.

Questions:
-Can the forces applied be treated as torques? It makes sense that F1 can, but not sure about F2.
-Are the frictional torque terms correct, or should they be multiplied by some length?
-Where is the axis of rotation for the second arm? Is it at the movable pivot (that's what I assumed), or is at the center of mass of the second arm?

Any help/criticism would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• equationsOfMotion_2.pdf
    37.1 KB · Views: 217
  • Project Diagram.jpg
    Project Diagram.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
! Thank you! $$\begin{aligned} \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi_1}}\right) &= \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi_1} \\\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi_2}}\right) &= \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi_2}\end{aligned}$$with $$L = \frac{1}{2}m_1 l_1^2 \dot{\phi_1}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_2 l_2^2 \dot{\phi_2}^2 - F_1 l_v \cos(\phi_1) - F_2 l_v \cos(\phi_2)$$gives us $$\begin{aligned} m_1 l_1^2 \ddot{\phi_1} &= -F_1 l_v \sin(\phi_1) - \mu m_2 g l_2 \sin(\phi_2 - \phi_1) \\m_2 l_2^2 \ddot{\phi_2} &= -F_2 l_v \sin(\phi_2) + \mu m_2 g l_2 \sin(\phi_2 - \phi_1)\end{aligned}$$

1. What is a rotating 2-arm structure and how does it work?

A rotating 2-arm structure is a mechanical system consisting of two arms that rotate around a central axis. The arms can rotate independently or in coordination with each other. This structure works by converting rotational motion into mechanical work, which can be used for various purposes such as lifting objects or generating electricity.

2. What are the advantages of using a rotating 2-arm structure?

One advantage of a rotating 2-arm structure is its versatility. It can be used in various applications such as cranes, wind turbines, and engines. It also allows for precise control over the direction and speed of rotation, making it useful for tasks that require precision. Additionally, the rotating arms can distribute the load evenly, making it more stable and efficient.

3. What are the key components of a rotating 2-arm structure?

The key components of a rotating 2-arm structure include the arms, central axis, bearings, gears, and power source. The arms are responsible for transferring the rotational motion, while the central axis provides support and stability. Bearings allow for smooth rotation, and gears help to control the speed and direction of rotation. Finally, a power source, such as an electric motor, is needed to drive the rotation.

4. What are the common factors that affect the performance of a rotating 2-arm structure?

The performance of a rotating 2-arm structure can be affected by various factors, including the material and design of the arms, the strength and stability of the central axis, the quality of the bearings and gears, and the power and efficiency of the motor. Environmental factors such as wind and temperature can also impact its performance.

5. How can the analysis of a rotating 2-arm structure be conducted?

The analysis of a rotating 2-arm structure involves various steps, including determining the forces acting on the arms, calculating the moments and torques, and analyzing the stress and strain on the components. This can be done using mathematical equations and computer simulations. Additionally, physical testing and observation can also be used to analyze the performance of the structure.