Complete by taking an arbitrary cauchy sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of proving the completeness of the space \ell_\infty and the attempt to prove the completeness of the subspace Y, which consists of sequences with only finitely many non-zero terms. The conversation concludes by finding a sequence in Y whose limit is not in Y, thus proving that Y is not complete.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

(1) Prove the space [tex]\ell_\infty[/tex] is complete
(2)In [tex]\ell_\infty[/tex](R) , let Y be the subspace of all sequences with only finitely many non-0 terms. Prove that Y is not complete.

The Attempt at a Solution

(1)I can show that [tex]\ell\infty[/tex] is complete by taking an arbitrary cauchy sequence and showing that xn[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] x

(2)Im not sure how to go about this.I figure the best wat to show that its not complete is to try to prove that it is complete?but I am not sure where to start?

Physics news on Phys.org

The best way to show it's not complete is to find a Cauchy sequence in Y whose limit is not in Y.

i have to find a sequence in R that doesn't converge in Y? I am not sure now to go about this?

gtfitzpatrick said:
i have to find a sequence in R that doesn't converge in Y? I am not sure now to go about this?

A sequence in Y whose limit is not in Y. I.e. a sequence of sequences with finitely many nonzero terms converging to a sequence that doesn't have that property. Think about it.

so i want a sequence with finitely many zeros but i want it to converge to 0 right?
0, 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4... converges to 0 which isn't in Y thus proving that Y isn't complete?
Is that really all i have to say?

One sequence is a POINT in Y. To talk about convergence in Y you need a sequence of points in Y. I.e. a sequence of sequences that converges to another sequence.

yes,sorry

(0,0,0,...)
(0,1,0,0..)
(0,1,1/2,0,0..)
(0,1,1/2,1/3,0,0..)
(0,1,1/2,1/3,1/4,0,...)

is this what you mean by a sequence of sequences?
Thanks again for all the help

That's it.

Related to Complete by taking an arbitrary cauchy sequence

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers that gets closer and closer to each other as the sequence progresses. This means that for any small distance, there exists a point in the sequence where all subsequent terms are within that distance from each other. It is named after the mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy.

2. How is a Cauchy sequence related to completeness?

A Cauchy sequence is a fundamental concept in the theory of completeness. A set is considered complete if and only if every Cauchy sequence in that set converges to a limit within the set. In other words, a set is complete if it contains all of its limit points.

3. Can all Cauchy sequences be completed?

Not necessarily. Completeness depends on the specific set in which the Cauchy sequence exists. For example, the set of rational numbers is not complete, as there are Cauchy sequences in this set that do not converge to a rational number. However, the set of real numbers is complete, as all Cauchy sequences in this set converge to a real number.

4. How do you complete a Cauchy sequence?

To complete a Cauchy sequence, you need to find the limit of the sequence. This can be done by showing that the sequence converges to a specific value or by showing that the sequence is bounded and monotonic, in which case the limit can be found using the monotone convergence theorem.

5. Why is completeness important in mathematics?

Completeness is an important concept in mathematics because it allows us to define and study the behavior of infinite sets. It also helps us to determine whether a given set is missing any important elements. Completeness is also necessary for many important theorems and proofs in various branches of mathematics.