Complete position function of time for multibody systems and gravity (Newtonian)

In summary, the individual is seeking a position function of time for multiple bodies in a solar system, taking into account the acceleration due to gravity between the bodies. They have a basic understanding of Calculus and have attempted to calculate this function, but are stuck on how to apply it to the equation for constant acceleration. They have searched for answers in various sources but have not been able to find a solution. They are looking for a closed form solution to the N-body problem, but it does not exist.
bleist88
Hi,

{First off I should share my ultimate goal, which is to have a position function of time of several bodies, let's say in a solar system, so that the position of each body and the acceleration due to gravity on all the other bodies in the system are given at any time t. Although Kepler's formulas are useful, I am not wanting only to understand how bodies in orbits work, but also bodies that are randomly thrown through the system such as the Voyager stations or meteors or what have you.

So to take this problem into steps and build up to this:

There is first being able to describe a rock dropped close to Earth. Here, acceleration of gravity is the constant 9.8m/s. This is simple and takes less thought.

Next, Imagine dropping this body from much higher where the gravity is weaker and so the acceleration is smaller, and as the body falls, the acceleration is not constant. This is where I get stuck.

Next, I think, would be to imagine now that body given some x component of velocity and to determine the path it would take in the ( x, y, z, t ) as well as the ( r ) it would have.

This would give the path the moon takes but also the path a meteor close to Earth would take if it fell into Earth.

Next would be an even greater challenge, to Imagine a multi-body system so that the mass of both bodies would be considerable and be constantly changing all the others position. This would involve not only a function based on changin acceleration, but also changing position of the major gravity players.}

I understand basic Calculus, which will obtain a position function of time based on Newton's F=ma and the constant acceleration of gravity close to the Earth's surface: Y(t) = Yo + Vo(t) + [a/2](t)^2

...where Yo is original height, Vo is original dy/dt, and a is the constant acceleration of gravity.

Where I am stuck is the next ste, where you would drop a ball close to Earth, yet far enough away so that the acceleration due to gravity is no longer constant but smaller, and a function on the distance from the center of the Earth the object is...

Fg = GMm/y^2 = ma ... so... a = GM/y^2

But the problem lies where you would apply this to the former equation I used when gravity was constant and unchanging. (Now Y is not just the height but the distance from the two objects centers)

It gives: Y(t) = Yo + Vo(t) + {GM/2[Y(t)]^2}(t)^2...

This is a bit ugly in computer type, but basically the same as before except that the acceleration is not a constant but another function based on Y. But Y(t) is dependent on a(t) which is really a function of Y(t). This means the function is a function of itself, which at my misunderstanding of Calculus makes no sense. What did Newton do from here?

This is the question I have and I would love for it to be answered. I have searched through my Dynamics book, Calculus, and gone to professors and still have yet to get further.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for a closed form solution to the N-body problem. It doesn't exist. Google "N-body problem" and you will see.

There is a closed form solution to the Newtonian two body problem -- if the two bodies are point masses. This will lead to things like orbital elements (I suggest you google that phrase as well).

1. What is the complete position function of time for multibody systems and gravity?

The complete position function of time for multibody systems and gravity, also known as the trajectory, is a mathematical representation of the position of each body in the system as a function of time. It takes into account the effects of gravity on the motion of the bodies and describes their paths over a specific period of time.

2. How is the complete position function of time calculated for multibody systems and gravity?

The complete position function of time is calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. These equations take into account the masses, positions, and velocities of each body in the system, as well as the gravitational constant. The resulting equations are then solved using mathematical methods such as differential equations or numerical integration.

3. Can the complete position function of time be used to predict the future positions of bodies in a multibody system?

Yes, the complete position function of time can be used to predict the future positions of bodies in a multibody system. However, this prediction is only accurate as long as the system remains in the same conditions and no external forces or perturbations are introduced.

4. Are there any limitations to using the complete position function of time for multibody systems and gravity?

One limitation of using the complete position function of time for multibody systems and gravity is that it assumes a Newtonian, or classical, understanding of gravity. In situations with high velocities or strong gravitational fields, this may not accurately represent the motion of bodies. Additionally, the calculations become more complex as the number of bodies in the system increases, making it difficult to accurately predict the positions of all bodies.

5. How is the complete position function of time for multibody systems and gravity used in real-world applications?

The complete position function of time for multibody systems and gravity has many real-world applications, such as in the field of astrophysics to model the orbits of planets and satellites, or in engineering to design and simulate the motion of complex systems such as robots or spacecraft. It is also used in navigation systems to track the positions of objects in space. The accuracy of these applications relies on the accuracy of the calculations used to determine the complete position function of time.