Completeness Relation: 2 Questions Answered

In summary, the completeness relation holds for both basis vectors and normalized sets of state vectors, where the latter is defined as ## | \phi_{j} \rangle = c_{j} |n_{j}\rangle ## with ##\sum_{j=1}^{m} |c_{j}|^2=1##. However, it does not hold for non-unit-normalized sets of state vectors. For the continuous case, a function ##f(n)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \phi_{n} dn ## can be defined as unit-normalized, but the trace of the identity operator for this function is not 1, causing a problem. Additionally, it is not possible to find ##c_i
redtree
Two questions regarding the completeness relation:

First: I understand that the completeness relation holds for basis vectors such that ## \sum_{j=1}^{m} | n_{j} \rangle \langle n_{j} | =\mathbb{I}##. Does it also hold for unit-normalized sets of state vectors as well, where ## | \phi_{j} \rangle = c_{j} |n_{j}\rangle ##, because ##\sum_{j=1}^{m} |c_{j}|^2=1 ##, such that ## \sum_{j=1}^{m} | \phi_{j} \rangle \langle \phi_{j} | =\mathbb{I}##? I assume it does not hold for non-unit-normalized sets of state vectors.

Second: For the continuous case, can one define a function ##f(n)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \phi_{n} dn ##, unit-normalized such that ##\int_{\mathbb{R}} |f(n)|^2 dn =1##, such that ## | f(n) \rangle \langle f(n) | = 1 ##?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. The trace of the unit operator is not one so you have a problem there already.

Thank you for your response. You are right. I made a correction on the first question; the second one still holds:

First: I understand that the completeness relation holds for basis vectors such that ## \sum_{j=1}^{m} | n_{j} \rangle \langle n_{j} | =\mathbb{I}##. Does it also hold for normalized sets of state vectors as well, where ## | \phi_{j} \rangle = c_{j} |n_{j}\rangle ##, where ##\sum_{j=1}^{m} |c_{j}|^2=\mathbb{I} ##, such that ## \sum_{j=1}^{m} | \phi_{j} \rangle \langle \phi_{j} | =\mathbb{I}##?.

Second: For a continuous case, can one define a function ##f(n)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \phi_{n} dn ## , unit-normalized such that ## \int_{\mathbb{R}} |f(n)|^2 dn =1##, such that ##| f(n) \rangle \langle f(n) | = 1 ##?

No. Same reason.

Not entirely sure to what you are referring. Trace for ## | f(n) \rangle \langle f(n) |## is 1 if n is a scalar. If n a vector, ##| f(n) \rangle \langle f(n) | =\mathbb{I}. ##. Is that the concern?

The trace is always a scalar. The trace of the identity operator in an ##n## dimensional vector space is ##n##. Obviously, your "normalised set of vectors" has trace 1, not ##n##.

Given ##c_{i}^* c_{j} = \delta_{ij}## such that:
Where ## | \phi_j \rangle = c_j |n_j \rangle ##:
##\sum_{j=1}^{m} | \phi_j \rangle \langle \phi | = \sum_{j=1}^{m} c_j| n_j \rangle \langle n | c_j ^* ##
##\sum_{j=1}^{m} c_j| n_j \rangle \langle n | c_j ^* = \sum_{j=1}^{m} | n_j \rangle |c_j|^2 \langle n | ##
## \sum_{j=1}^{m} | n_j \rangle |c_j|^2\langle n | = \sum_{j=1}^{m} | n_j \rangle \langle n | = \mathbb{I}##

Thus:
Trace##\left(\sum_{j=1}^{m} | \phi_j \rangle \langle \phi |\right)=m##

Last edited:
redtree said:
Given ##c_{i}^* c_{j} = \delta_{ij}## such that:
This is not compatible with your claim that ##\sum_{i = 1}^m |c_i|^2 = 1##, nor is it compatible with ##\sum_{i=1}^M |c_i|^2 = \mathbb I## (actually, there is no difference between those two statements since the latter applied to a state is the same as multiplying the state by the former). If you are trying to ask whether you can use any complete orthonormal basis to make a completeness relation, the answer is yes by definition.

Edit: It is also impossible to find ##c_i## such that the relation ##c_i^* c_j = \delta_{ij}## holds. As the components of a matrix, the matrix on the LHS has rank 1 while the one on the RHS has rank m.

## c^i c_j = \delta_j^i## then?

redtree said:
## c^i c_j = \delta_j^i## then?
Still no. Still an impossible condition.

What is the Completeness Relation?

The Completeness Relation is a mathematical concept that is used to describe the relationship between a set of functions or vectors. It states that any function or vector can be represented as a linear combination of a complete set of basis functions or vectors.

How is the Completeness Relation used in physics?

In physics, the Completeness Relation is used to solve complex equations and describe physical systems. It is particularly useful in quantum mechanics, where it allows for the representation of wavefunctions as a linear combination of basis states.