Completing an electric circuit with salt water

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of completing an electric circuit using salt water and two electrodes without causing electrolysis or corrosion. It is mentioned that using AC current and Cu or Zn electrodes can prevent electrolysis, but there is a question about whether corrosion still occurs. A paper is referenced and the potential differences between low and high power are also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a question about the behavior of the solution under high alternating currents and the potential for electrolysis and corrosion.
amrmohammed
Howdy!

I would like to complete an electric circuit using salt water and two electrodes, however I don't want my electrodes to corrode or change the chemistry of the electrolyte (salt water), so I don't want electrolysis to take place. Is this possible?

I read in a published paper that electrolysis don't take place when using AC current and Cu or Zn as electrodes and in that case "the solution behaves much like resistance and the energy is wasted in heating of the solution." Does corrosion take place in this case? does any other chemical reaction take place?

The paper I referred to attached to the thread or from (http://goo.gl/hdzyBf )

Thank you,

Attachments

• Effect of alternating current on electrolytic solutions.pdf
    666.2 KB · Views: 1,450
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What voltages and/or currents?

Exactly .. in the paper they used low power (tens of Volts and mAmps) .. I want to investigate this on high power (kiloWatts)
Do you think it will be different?

amrmohammed said:
(kiloWatts)
Do you think it will be different?
Depending upon current density (i/Aelectrode), it could be spectacular.

Likes amrmohammed
So for high alternating currents the solution won't behave as a resistor, electrolysis will take place and electrodes will corrode?

1. How does salt water help complete an electric circuit?

Salt water is a good conductor of electricity, meaning it allows electric current to flow through it easily. When added to a circuit, the salt ions in the water help to carry the electric charge from one end of the circuit to the other, completing the circuit.

2. Can any type of salt be used to complete an electric circuit?

Yes, any type of salt can be used to complete an electric circuit with salt water. However, different types of salt may have varying levels of conductivity, which can affect the strength and flow of the electric current.

3. What materials are needed to complete an electric circuit with salt water?

To complete an electric circuit with salt water, you will need a source of electricity (such as a battery), two electrodes (such as metal wires or graphite rods), and a container of salt water.

4. Is it safe to complete an electric circuit with salt water?

As with any experiment involving electricity, caution should be taken when completing an electric circuit with salt water. Make sure to use low voltage and avoid touching the electrodes while the circuit is active. It is also important to properly dispose of the salt water after the experiment.

5. What are the applications of completing an electric circuit with salt water?

Completing an electric circuit with salt water can be used in various applications such as desalination, water treatment, and energy storage. It can also be used as a simple and safe demonstration of how electricity can flow through different materials.