2D electric field distribution in electrolyte solution

CheesyG
TL;DR Summary
How can I determine the electric field distribution in an electrolyte solution when applying a given potential to electrodes?
Hi there,

How can I determine the electric field distribution from a planar electrode? The known parameters are potential applied to the electrode, ionic strength and dielectric constant of the medium. (E.g. for the most simple case 0.5 mM NaCl in water)

I'm having difficulty finding a straightforward explanation to do this. I'd want to account for the potential drop across the Stern layer and the exponential decay of potential in the diffuse layer to get a complete picture of electric field distribution. BC is potential --> 0 as x --> infinity.

One case would be for an infinite planar electrode, another would be for a small 100nm planar electrode in a cavity.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is more of a physics problem. Sure, chemistry will add its own complications, as the medium is not homogeneous and can change in the electric field, but as the first approximation I would look for physics models for the electric field in vacuum, something around the Poisson equation if memory serves me well (I can be terribly wrong here, haven't visited this territory in ages).

I have problems understanding your setup though, you can't apply potential using a single electrode, and the presence and location of the counter electrode (geometry of the system) is probably crucial element of the system.

Likes Bystander
Thanks Borek!

We would apply the potential between the working and counter electrodes.

The problem also needs to account for field screening due to the presence of the electric double layer. (Electric field distribution in vacuum is much more straightforward!)

I would also make a few assumptions :

- The potential decays to 0 in the bulk solution such that we treat the working electrode independently

- we ignore iR drop, or any other effects of solution resistance

I think this should be a straightforward problem, but I’m having a hard time finding a simple expression for electric field distribution taking into account the stern and diffuse layers of the EDL (or figuring out how best to approach this). Then how to approach the problem different electrode geometries or surface areas.

Hope this makes sense,
Cheers!

What is 2D electric field distribution in an electrolyte solution?

The 2D electric field distribution in an electrolyte solution refers to the mapping or modeling of electric field intensity and direction within a solution that contains ions. This distribution is two-dimensional, typically considering variations across a plane within the solution, and is crucial for understanding how electric fields interact with ionic solutions in various applications such as electrochemistry, batteries, and sensors.

How is the 2D electric field distribution in electrolyte solutions measured?

Measuring the 2D electric field distribution in electrolyte solutions can be done using techniques such as laser-induced fluorescence, PIV (Particle Image Velocimetry), or using microelectrodes to sense local electric fields. Computational methods, like finite element analysis (FEA), are also commonly used to simulate and predict field distributions based on the known properties of the electrolyte and the geometry of the electrodes.

What factors affect the 2D electric field distribution in an electrolyte solution?

Several factors can affect the 2D electric field distribution, including the concentration and type of ions in the solution, the geometry and material of the electrodes, the applied voltage or current, and the temperature of the solution. Each of these factors can influence the mobility of ions and the overall conductivity of the solution, thereby altering the electric field distribution.

Why is understanding the 2D electric field distribution important in applications like batteries and sensors?

Understanding the 2D electric field distribution is crucial in these applications because it affects the efficiency and performance of devices. In batteries, the distribution influences ion transport and the rate of electrochemical reactions, impacting the battery's capacity and lifespan. In sensors, the electric field distribution affects the sensitivity and accuracy of measurements, particularly in devices that rely on electrochemical detection methods.

What are the challenges in modeling 2D electric field distribution in electrolyte solutions?

Modeling the 2D electric field distribution poses several challenges, including accurately simulating the ion transport and interactions, dealing with complex boundary conditions at electrodes, and accounting for non-linear effects due to concentration gradients or varying electrical properties of the materials involved. Advanced computational techniques and precise experimental calibration are often required to overcome these challenges and achieve accurate models.