Complex Analysis-Difference between Differentiable and Analytic

In summary, a function is (complex-)analytic at a point only when it is (complex-)differentiable on an open neighborhood of that point. The function f(z) = x^2 + i(y^2) is differentiable at all points on the line y=x, but since it is not differentiable in a neighborhood of any point, it is not analytic. The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a pointwise condition for complex-differentiability, and in this case, they are satisfied at the point but not in a neighborhood, leading to the function being complex-differentiable but not analytic.
gbean

Homework Statement

Show that f(z) = x^2 + i(y^2) is diff at all points on y=x. Then show that is not analytic anywhere.

Homework Equations

Cauchy Riemann equations: fy = ifx <=> function is differentiable (I'm still unclear about the implications of CR-equations. It says in my book that if f is differentiable at z, fx and fy exist and satisfy the CR-equations, but it also says that a polynomial is analytic <=> CR-equations are satisfied).

The Attempt at a Solution

So I took the partial derivatives:

fy = 2iy
ifx = 2ix

The only way for fy (2iy) = ifx (2ix) is if x=y. This shows that the equation is differentiable because it satisfies CR-equations.

But I'm not sure how to show that this is not analytic. As I understand it, analyticity is a neighborhood property, so just because the function is differentiable at the points where y=x, there doesn't exist a neighborhood around each point where f is differentiable, and so f(z) is not analytic. But is this explanation sufficient to show that a f(z) is not analytic, or do I need to show more?

Also, I thought that satisfaction of CR-equations meant that the function was analytic...But the book says that it is not analytic, despite CR being satisfied on the line y=x.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your explanation is sufficient: a function is (complex-)analytic at a point only when it is (complex-)differentiable on an open neighborhood of that point, and since your function is (complex-)differentiable only on a line, it is not analytic at any point.

As for the implications of the Cauchy-Riemann equations: they are the additional condition required for a real-differentiable function to be complex-differentiable. As you have figured out, the Cauchy-Riemann equations are a pointwise condition; this problem demonstrates that they may be satisfied at a point without being satisfied in a neighborhood of the point, and in this case the function is complex-differentiable at the point but not analytic there.

(If you know about the view of the derivative as a linear transformation, the Cauchy-Riemann equations are exactly the condition that the derivative, a real-linear transformation from [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] to [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex], should coincide with a complex-linear transformation from [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex] to [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex].)

Related to Complex Analysis-Difference between Differentiable and Analytic

What is the difference between a differentiable function and an analytic function?

A differentiable function is one that has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has a tangent line at every point. An analytic function, on the other hand, is a function that can be represented by a convergent power series in a neighborhood of each point in its domain. This means that an analytic function is not only differentiable, but its derivative can also be expressed by a convergent power series.

Can a function be differentiable but not analytic?

Yes, a function can be differentiable but not analytic. This means that the function has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain, but its derivative cannot be expressed by a convergent power series. An example of such a function is f(x) = |x|, where the derivative exists at every point but is not continuous.

What is the significance of analytic functions in complex analysis?

Analytic functions are important in complex analysis because they have many useful properties that make them easier to study. For example, an analytic function is infinitely differentiable, and its derivative can be calculated by using a simple formula. Additionally, analytic functions have a close relationship with complex integration, making them useful in solving problems in complex analysis.

Can a function be analytic at some points but not others?

Yes, a function can be analytic at some points but not others. An example of such a function is f(x) = 1/x. This function is analytic at all points except for x = 0, where it has a singularity. This means that the function can be represented by a convergent power series in a neighborhood of every point except for x = 0.

What is the Cauchy-Riemann equations and how are they related to analytic functions?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of two partial differential equations that must be satisfied by a function in order for it to be analytic. These equations relate the real and imaginary parts of a complex function and are used to determine whether a function is analytic or not. If a function satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations, then it is analytic, and its derivative can be expressed by a convergent power series.