Complex and Irrational Exponents for the Layman - Comments

In summary, Isaac0427 submitted a new PF Insights post about complex and irrational exponents. The post explains how exponents can be both real and imaginary numbers at the same time, using the analogy of stretching and compressing the unit circle. The post also includes a nitpick about defining the conditions for getting a combination of imaginary and real numbers.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Isaac0427 submitted a new PF Insights post

Complex and Irrational Exponents for the Layman

complexexponents-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Congratulations on a fine Insights post. Very nice. :smile:

Borg said:
Congratulations on a fine Insights post. Very nice. :smile:
Thank you very much :smile:.

Likes Borg
Very good.

What's a compliment worth without a nitpick or two:
I would specify in "Unless x is a multiple of π/2, you will get a combination of imaginary and real numbers." that it must be an integer multiple of π/2.

I took me some time to more or less get what you were saying here:
"You can also have real and imaginary exponents at the same time. If you think about the unit circle, to raise e it to a real exponent x, means you stretch or compress it by x, and you do that x times. After that, you stretch it by e and you then apply the imaginary exponents."

Likes Isaac0427
Samy_A said:
I took me some time to more or less get what you were saying here:
"You can also have real and imaginary exponents at the same time. If you think about the unit circle, to raise e it to a real exponent x, means you stretch or compress it by x, and you do that x times. After that, you stretch it by e and you then apply the imaginary exponents."
If I knew how to make and add in an animation of this, it would have probably made that section of the article more understandable.

Way up ahead! Brilliant, Isaac!

Likes Isaac0427

1. What are complex exponents?

Complex exponents are numbers expressed in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). These types of exponents are used in advanced mathematical concepts and allow for the representation of numbers in a two-dimensional plane.

2. How are complex exponents different from real exponents?

Real exponents are numbers that can be expressed as a whole number or fraction, while complex exponents involve the use of the imaginary unit (√-1). Additionally, real exponents represent numbers on a one-dimensional number line, while complex exponents represent numbers in a two-dimensional plane.

3. What are irrational exponents?

Irrational exponents are numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. They often involve the use of pi (π) or square roots, and are used to represent non-integer powers of a number.

4. How are irrational exponents different from rational exponents?

Rational exponents can be expressed as a fraction, while irrational exponents cannot. Rational exponents also have a finite, decimal representation, while irrational exponents have an infinite, non-repeating decimal representation.

5. Why are complex and irrational exponents important?

Complex and irrational exponents are important in advanced mathematical concepts and are used to represent numbers that cannot be expressed using traditional real exponents. They also allow for a deeper understanding of the relationship between numbers in a two-dimensional plane.