Intransitive Dice with a Twist - Comments

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of intransitive dice and its various aspects, including a new PF Insights post by mfb and additional resources such as a YouTube video and research papers. The conversation also praises the topic and expresses interest in learning more about it.
mfb submitted a new PF Insights post

Intransitive Dice with a Twist
dice.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• dice.png
    dice.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 876
Likes Office_Shredder, QuantumQuest, Ygggdrasil and 2 others
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is the question?

It is an Insights article, not a question thread. What exactly are you missing?

I saw a YouTube video, maybe on Numberphile, which introduced this idea of nontransitive dice. Your article takes it to another level.

scottdave said:
I saw a YouTube video, maybe on Numberphile, which introduced this idea of nontransitive dice. Your article takes it to another level.

Likes scottdave
I love this stuff, but it makes my head hurt :smile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Very cool, thanks for writing this!

What is "Intransitive Dice with a Twist"?

"Intransitive Dice with a Twist" is a mathematical game involving a set of three dice that have non-transitive properties. This means that no matter which two dice are chosen, one will always have a higher chance of winning.

How is the game played?

The game is played by rolling three dice, each with different numbers on their sides. The player with the highest number on their die wins. However, unlike traditional dice, the numbers on each die are not sequential, making it a more challenging and strategic game.

What is the purpose of this game?

The purpose of "Intransitive Dice with a Twist" is to demonstrate the concept of non-transitivity in a fun and interactive way. It also allows players to practice critical thinking and strategic decision making.

Who invented this game?

The game was invented by mathematician and game designer Martin Gardner in the 1970s. He published it in his column "Mathematical Games" in Scientific American magazine.

Are there variations of this game?

Yes, there are many variations of "Intransitive Dice with a Twist" that involve different numbers of dice or different number combinations on the dice. Some variations also include additional rules or elements, making the game even more complex and challenging.