Complex Degree of Coherence (Cittert-Zernike)

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of a light source consisting of two long thin parallel wires separated by a distance W, with a current passing through them to emit light thermally. A filter is placed in front of the wires to only allow a narrow spectral range centered at λ to reach a screen, a distance l away. The conversation then delves into obtaining an expression for the complex degree of coherence using the van Cittert-Zernike theorem and discussing what would be observed on the screen. It is determined that the intensity on the screen would simply be a sum of the two intensity distributions from the wires, with no visible interference fringes due to the random phases of the sources. The concept of interference fringes is then further explained in
phil44

Homework Statement

A light source consists of two long thin parallel wires, separated by a distance, W. A current is passed through the wires so that they emit light thermally. A filter is placed in front of the wires to only allow a narrow spectral range, centred at λ to propagate to a screen, a distance l from the wires.

123002.jpg

i) Obtain an expression for the complex degree of coherence using the van Cittert-Zernike theorem.

ii) Describe what would be observed on this screen.

Homework Equations

Cittert-Zernike theorem:
Complex degree of coherence γ is given by the normalised Fourier transform of the source intensity function.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so the first part is straight forward enough, treating the source intensity as a double delta function, the normalised Fourier transform of which is just a cosine function, specifically:

γ=cos [itex]\frac{πWΔx}{λl}[/itex] , where Δx is the separation between two points in the horizontal axis of the observation screen. Note that I'm ignoring the vertical axis at this stage.

It's the intensity seen on the screen that's confusing me. With just the double delta source directly onto a screen, I would be tempted to say the intensity distribution on the screen simply varies in a cosine fashion, as the two wire thermal sources (which are cylindrical wave sources?) interfere according to the coherence function. I feel like I might be missing something however.

Any help to clarify this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, the edit button seems to have disappeared, so sorry for the double post.

Having thought about it a bit more, what I've said might not make a whole lot of sense. The light source essentially would have random phases at each point (I think, I don't see any reason why they would be in phase across the length of the wires). So there's no real overall coherence between the two sources which can be visibly seen in the form of interference fringes. Certainly interference fringes such as those seen in diffraction wouldn't be seen I imagine. You would therefore simply see a sum of the two intensity distributions on the observation screen. I think this would physically look like two long bars in the vertical direction of maximum intensity, which diminishes outwards (gaussian?), and sums in the overlapping regions between the two wires.

Now if you were to have two pinholes as a diffraction grating, THEN the appearance of interference fringes would depend on the spacing between them, according to the coherence function mentioned in my first post. This was actually the next scenario given in the question, but I think I understand that pretty well.

1. What is the Complex Degree of Coherence (Cittert-Zernike)?

The Complex Degree of Coherence (Cittert-Zernike) is a mathematical concept used in the field of optics to describe the degree of correlation between two electromagnetic waves. It is an extension of the more commonly known Degree of Coherence, which only takes into account the amplitude of the waves. The Complex Degree of Coherence takes into account both the amplitude and phase of the waves, providing a more complete understanding of the coherence between the two waves.

2. How is the Complex Degree of Coherence (Cittert-Zernike) calculated?

The Complex Degree of Coherence (Cittert-Zernike) is calculated using the cross-spectral density function, which is the Fourier transform of the mutual intensity function. This calculation takes into account the amplitude and phase of the two waves at different spatial and temporal points, providing a complex-valued result.

3. What is the significance of the Complex Degree of Coherence (Cittert-Zernike) in optics?

The Complex Degree of Coherence (Cittert-Zernike) is a valuable tool in understanding the behavior of light in complex optical systems. It allows for a more accurate characterization of the coherence between two waves, which is important in many applications such as imaging, interferometry, and holography.

4. What is the relationship between the Complex Degree of Coherence (Cittert-Zernike) and the Degree of Coherence?

The Degree of Coherence is a special case of the Complex Degree of Coherence, where the phase difference between the two waves is assumed to be constant. This simplification is often used in simpler optical systems, but the Complex Degree of Coherence provides a more accurate description of coherence for more complex systems.

5. How is the Complex Degree of Coherence (Cittert-Zernike) used in practical applications?

The Complex Degree of Coherence is used in a variety of practical applications in optics, such as in the design and optimization of optical systems, in the analysis of interferometric data, and in the characterization of laser sources. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, microscopy, and telecommunications.