Complex Eigenvectors: Showing A(ReV) and A(ImV)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a 2x2 matrix with a complex eigenvalue can be represented as a combination of its real and imaginary parts. The solution involves expanding the matrix using the real and imaginary components of the eigenvector.
Shaunzio

Homework Statement

Let A be a 2x2 matrix with complex eigenvalue (lambda)=a-bi, (b does not equal 0) and associated eigenvector v-> C^2. Show that A(Rev)=aRev +bImv and A(ImV)=-bRev +aImv. Where Re is real part and I am is imaginary part.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am terrible at proofs and I am no idea how one would show this..

Physics news on Phys.org
They should probably make it clear A is real matrix. Start by using v=Re(v)+i*Im(v) and expand A(v)=(a-ib)v in terms of Re(v) and Im(v). There really aren't any tricks here.

Related to Complex Eigenvectors: Showing A(ReV) and A(ImV)

1. What are complex eigenvectors?

Complex eigenvectors are a type of eigenvector that have complex-valued components. They are often used in linear algebra to solve systems of equations and represent transformations on vector spaces.

2. How do complex eigenvectors relate to complex eigenvalues?

Complex eigenvectors are associated with complex eigenvalues in the same way that real eigenvectors are associated with real eigenvalues. The eigenvalue-eigenvector pair represents a scalar and a vector that are related by a linear transformation.

3. Can complex eigenvectors be represented graphically?

Yes, complex eigenvectors can be represented graphically as arrows in the complex plane. The length and direction of the arrow correspond to the magnitude and phase of the complex eigenvector.

4. How are complex eigenvectors used in applications?

Complex eigenvectors are used in many applications, including signal processing, quantum mechanics, and computer graphics. They allow for the representation of complex phenomena and transformations in a simpler and more efficient way.

5. What is the significance of showing A(ReV) and A(ImV) for complex eigenvectors?

The real and imaginary parts of a complex eigenvector, A(ReV) and A(ImV), respectively, represent the transformation of the real and imaginary components of the vector. This allows for a deeper understanding of the effects of the transformation on the vector space.