Complex exponetial form of Fourier series

In summary, the complex exponential form of the Fourier series is motivated by the fact that it is a group homomorphism and suggests a generalization. This form is also an orthogonal set and is equivalent to the real form of the Fourier series. Both forms can be used interchangeably and the difference is mainly aesthetic.
Bipolarity
I have some rather technical questions about the complex exponential form of the Fourier series:

1) What is the motivation behind the complex exponential form? Why not just use the real form (i.e. with sine and cosines)?

2) Surely the complex exponential form is an orthogonal set, i.e. [itex] <e^{iπmx/p},e^{iπnx/p}>=0 [/itex] for all integers m,n not equal to one another.

3) Are the two forms equivalent, i.e. if you can express a function with the Fourier sine/cosine series such that the function converges to the Fourier sine/cosine series, then can you also express the same function with its complex exponential Fourier series such that the function converges to its complex exponential Fourier series? And what about the converse?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
1) What is the motivation behind the complex exponential form? Why not just use the real form (i.e. with sine and cosines)?

I think that in first courses, the real form will always be most useful. But later one, the complex exponential form is important too. I really don't know very much about applications of Fourier series, but from math point-of-view, the complex exponential is important because it is a group homomorphism

[tex]\mathbb{R}\rightarrow S^1:x\rightarrow e^{ix}[/tex]

This might seem like an insignificant fact to you, but it actually is the main reason that Fourier series work and it suggests a generalization.

2) Surely the complex exponential form is an orthogonal set, i.e. [itex] <e^{iπmx/p},e^{iπnx/p}>=0 [/itex] for all integers m,n not equal to one another.

I'm not a fan of your notation. But yes.

3) Are the two forms equivalent, i.e. if you can express a function with the Fourier sine/cosine series such that the function converges to the Fourier sine/cosine series, then can you also express the same function with its complex exponential Fourier series such that the function converges to its complex exponential Fourier series? And what about the converse?

Yes, they are completely equivalent. It doesn't matter whether you use the sine/cosine version or the exponential version. It's all the same thing. Sometimes, it is simply more useful and natural to consider the exponential version. However, everything that can be done with the exponential version, can also be done with sines/cosines (and vice versa). So the difference is just an aesthetic one.

1. What is the complex exponential form of Fourier series?

The complex exponential form of Fourier series is an alternative representation of a Fourier series, which expresses a periodic function as a sum of complex exponential functions. It is written as a sum of complex coefficients multiplied by complex exponential terms.

2. How is the complex exponential form of Fourier series different from the trigonometric form?

The complex exponential form of Fourier series is different from the trigonometric form in that it uses complex exponential functions, while the trigonometric form uses only trigonometric functions. The complex exponential form is often simpler and more convenient to use in mathematical analysis and signal processing.

3. What are the advantages of using the complex exponential form of Fourier series?

The complex exponential form of Fourier series has several advantages, including:

• It simplifies complex calculations and makes them more efficient.
  • It is easier to work with complex-valued functions and signals.
  • It allows for the use of complex analysis techniques.
  • It is more compact and concise compared to the trigonometric form.

4. How is the complex exponential form of Fourier series used in signal processing?

The complex exponential form of Fourier series is used extensively in signal processing, particularly in the analysis and synthesis of signals. It allows for the decomposition of a signal into its frequency components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. It is also used in various applications such as filtering, noise reduction, and data compression.

5. Can the complex exponential form of Fourier series be used for non-periodic functions?

No, the complex exponential form of Fourier series is only applicable to periodic functions. For non-periodic functions, the Fourier transform or Laplace transform can be used, which extend the concept of Fourier series to non-periodic signals.