Complex integral of a real integrand

In summary, the integral $$\int_{\pi f}^{3\pi f} dx \sqrt{\cos(x/f)}$$ is equal to $$4f E(2) = 2.39628f + 2.39628if,$$ where E is the elliptic function. However, the integrand must be real for the integral to be real, so there may be an error in the input.
spaghetti3451
I am trying to do the following integral:

$$\int_{\pi f}^{3\pi f} dx \sqrt{\cos(x/f)}.$$

Wolfram alpha - http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(cos(x))^(1/2)+dx+from+x=pi+to+3pi gives me

$$\int_{\pi f}^{3\pi f} dx \sqrt{\cos(x/f)} = 4f E(2) = 2.39628f + 2.39628if,$$

where E is the elliptic function.

Mathematica also gives me the same answer. How can the integral of a real integrand with real limits be complex?

Physics news on Phys.org
It cannot. Your integrand is not real.

Likes spaghetti3451
got it!

spaghetti3451 said:
I am trying to do the following integral:

$$\int_{\pi f}^{3\pi f} dx \sqrt{\cos(x/f)}.$$

Wolfram alpha - http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(cos(x))^(1/2)+dx+from+x=pi+to+3pi gives me

$$\int_{\pi f}^{3\pi f} dx \sqrt{\cos(x/f)} = 4f E(2) = 2.39628f + 2.39628if,$$

where E is the elliptic function.
What's the meaning of 'f' in the limits of integration and in cos(x/f)? You don't have it in your Wolframalpha link. When I click the WA link you provided, it says that it doesn't understand the query, and gives a result of 1/2.

Mark44 said:
When I click the WA link you provided, it says that it doesn't understand the query, and gives a result of 1/2.
Remove the backslash ...

Likes spaghetti3451
This question is with regards to tunneling in false vacuum decay.
Mark44 said:
What's the meaning of 'f' in the limits of integration and in cos(x/f)? You don't have it in your Wolframalpha link. When I click the WA link you provided, it says that it doesn't understand the query, and gives a result of 1/2.

##f## is a constant. Here is the link that works:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(cos(x))^(1/2)+dx+from+x=pi+to+3pi

Related to Complex integral of a real integrand

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral in calculus, but takes into account both real and imaginary components.

2. What is a real integrand?

A real integrand is a function that only has real numbers as inputs and outputs. In the context of a complex integral, it is the function that is being integrated over a given interval in the complex plane.

3. How do you calculate a complex integral?

To calculate a complex integral, you must first determine the function that is being integrated (the integrand), then choose a path or contour in the complex plane over which to integrate. From there, you can use techniques such as the Cauchy Integral Formula or the Residue Theorem to evaluate the integral.

4. What are the applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to solve problems in complex analysis, electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and more. They are also essential in understanding and solving problems in quantum mechanics and string theory.

5. Can a complex integral have a real value?

Yes, a complex integral can have a real value. This occurs when the function being integrated is purely real or the path of integration only passes through real numbers. In this case, the imaginary component of the integral is equal to zero, resulting in a real value.